S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Not able to open rear hatch glass.

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not able to open rear hatch glass.

My daughter just bought a used 1996 Blazer LS but we cannot get the rear glass over the tailgate to open. It does not sound like it unlocks with the central locking and the key is no help either. When I push the button on the tailgate it goes about half way down but no further.

Any suggestions?
Old July 10th, 2011, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

I was able to get a finger into the mechanism to unlock the window. I removed the tailgate interior cover and the locking mechanism seems to work fine, but the electrical solenoid does move when the unlock is used either by remote, drivers door button, nor the exterior button on the tailgate.
Seems there's an electrical bug in the car as the remote mirrors nor the interior lights work either.
Maybe a trip to a shop that specializes in auto electrics is in order.
Old July 13th, 2011, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my '92 Blazer. The back hatch button no longer works and I'm not sure if the wiring came undone in the dash or if it happened somewhere else in the vehicle. If you figure it out please let me know! Thank you
Old July 17th, 2011, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Cool Check fuses and wires!

Check your fuses. All of them. If its not that, open up the tailgate and test all the wires and make sure when you are hitting the button they are getting juice. If not, it may be the unlocking motor. Possibly got wet/fried ect. Thats what would be my first step in troubleshooting this.
Old July 19th, 2011, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

I took my dash apart (took radio out etc) and found the underlying problem; it ended up being a wiring problem...the wires came loose because they weren't put up they were just hanging there. Try doing that and if it still doesn't work I am at a loss.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Well, the previous owner was a little fired up when my daughter told her how I fixed it all. The battery kept draining and a mechanics solution was to remove the fuse that controlled many items. It was the #2 fuse that controlled the visor lights, power mirrors, interior lights, and rear window latch, and who knows what else. I put in a new fuse and and everything fired up pronto. My daughter went looking for something that may be on when it should not and it was the visor lights. I simply opened them up and disconnected the wires. So now almost everything on the car works except the visor lights. Now its an even better deal at $200.
Next is to charge the AC as it does not blow cold.