Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Changing rear hatch glass...difficult???

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2014, 10:06 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changing rear hatch glass...difficult???

We purchased our 07 used and the glass had these scratches in it from the wiper it looks like. I don't like it. So I'm trying to locate a be panel and replace it myself. Is it difficult to remove. Haven't really looked at it yet. And do those telephone wire clips come undone from the defrost??? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 2:59 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That is the very reason I don't use my rear wiper
it only takes a grain of sand wedged in the wiper blade to f it up....
The defrost cables should unplug just don't be surprised if you pull the connector loose from the glass
I have not removed it but it looks pretty straight forward, I would remove the electrical connections , then the struts then the hinges...
Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you get the hinges on correct. Parents had their Bravada hatch redone, and the bonehead at the dealer had one hinge overlapping incorrectly.

good luck. I have an 08 burb, I just detailed my hatch glass. It looks like the defrost just unplugs from the soldered tab, and the rest is screws/bolts up at the top near the hinges.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would suggest with hatch closed, place new glass in , put hinges in but do not tighten, align glass, use masking tape to hold glass in place, open rear hatch, tighten hinge nuts, install struts and defrost wires...
remove tape and softly verify glass latch movement, may also want to hit the latch assembly with a shot of white lithium grease....