Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Remedy for creaking sound coming from rear when turning...

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2011, 5:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Remedy for creaking sound coming from rear when turning...

I thought I'd share a problem we had and how I solved it.

The problem we were having was that we would hear a creaking sound whenever we were turning which naturally causes the cabin to move/flex a bit.

It turns out the creaking sound was coming from the ball connections on the lift supports for the liftgate. I removed the lift supports to find that the ends were heavily gunked up with dirt & crud where the lift support attaches to the ball ends.

I cleaned up the ball ends and the openings that the ***** go into on the lift supports with some brake cleaner and Q-tips, then lubed them a small amount of Lucas power steering additive (it was all I had - and it's really thick).

After I did this, the liftgate opens/closes noticeably easier and the annoying creaking is now GONE!.
Old July 9th, 2012, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
I thought I'd share a problem we had and how I solved it.

The problem we were having was that we would hear a creaking sound whenever we were turning which naturally causes the cabin to move/flex a bit.

It turns out the creaking sound was coming from the ball connections on the lift supports for the liftgate. I removed the lift supports to find that the ends were heavily gunked up with dirt & crud where the lift support attaches to the ball ends.

I cleaned up the ball ends and the openings that the ***** go into on the lift supports with some brake cleaner and Q-tips, then lubed them a small amount of Lucas power steering additive (it was all I had - and it's really thick).

After I did this, the liftgate opens/closes noticeably easier and the annoying creaking is now GONE!.
Guys, do you have a picture of this point.. i have no idea where are you talking to.. and i have the same problem... !!

thanks..