Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2019, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has this been resolved as my 2010 equinox has started the same thing
Old November 1st, 2019, 12:52 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

sounds like the poster above you is talking about a faulty pcv valve
Old November 2nd, 2019, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t believe so. However, I received a notice in the mail from GMC that there is a recall on several years of equinox vehicles and my car 2012 equinox is on there with the same issue. It has something to do with massive oil consumption the it wearing the piston ring down but no fix has been stated. If you google massive oil consumption with equinox you will find tons of others with same issue as well as a massive law suit against gmc for said issue. I received a letter from a lawyer stating they knew I had purchased one and asking me if I had any of the problems, which I had every single one and they told me they would keep me posted. I just want my car fixed and to pay it off....that is all.

Originally Posted by Chrisshonda Young
I am having the same problem and my car is a 2016. Did anyone ever find a solution?
Old December 31st, 2019, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default Me too

I have a 2011 4 cyl also all the same problems as you. Stabilitrak, Speed sensor, ABS, Check Engine lights all on and burning oil like crazy. This must be a recall ridiculous.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Me Too

Originally Posted by mediccj
Hey guys, I'm glad I found this thread.

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD 4 cylinder. Current mileage runs around 93k miles. Bought it used from the dealership just over one year ago (December 2013).

A little while back, my check engine light came on. Ran it and showed P00013. Exhaust Camshaft Position sensor. Cool, I'll get it replaced when it warms up, not that big of a deal.

The other day however, I was driving and I recieved the infamous "Service Stabilitrak" and "Reduced Engine Power" message while I was driving and my speeds drastically reduced. After nearly getting rear ended, and not being dramatic, I was able to pull off to the side of the road. I restarted the car and I was good for another mile or so. Filled the gas tank and put some cleaner in the fuel as well. Went to the dealership (Al Serra in Grand Blanc Michigan) and they told me I'd have to bring it in next week. They also said it could be the speed sensor. So I barely made it home, I did stall out in one intersection, where I waited a couple minutes and it restarted. I took it out yesterday again because it was warmer, and it did the same thing.

We ran the codes again, and it said Throttle Body Sensor/System. Upon doing my research, this seems to be the problem, and the whole system needs to be replaced. I was told that this is NOT covered under warranty even though its directly part of the powertrain. I'm taking the vehicle in Monday morning. I really cannot afford this repair since I am off work due to injury, so I'm worried its going to run in the 400-500 range from my research.

Does anyone know where the Throttle Body System/Sensor is located? I know on some vehicles, its right on top and is held on with 4 bolts and can be easily removed and cleaned as well.

Also, where is the Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor located?

Finally, another problem is I am burning through oil like no other. We did a oil life consumption test, and when I took it back to the dealership (Suski in Birch Run) they just gave the run around and said that is perfectly normal to burn oil. I am reading about timing chain issues and a few others. It's getting ridiculous. I came from Ford to a GM product and I am regretting my decision.

I just wanted to post what the most likely problem is and ask a few questions. If any of the GM folks want me to PM them, let me know. However unless you can get me a service bulletin, recall number, or warranty information, there is not much you can do about this. This is a significant danger to folks driving, I can confirm this most definitely.

Thank you all!
I also have this exact year model and all the same problems cleaned the throttle body replaced the alternator checked and the fuses put dielectric grease on ecm connectors and... still. bow they're telling me i actually need a whole new computer. this is ridiculous.
Old February 24th, 2020, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

I’ve been currently having the same problem. Was told it may be the throttle body sensor. Had it replaced brand new to no avail. This month makes a year that I’ve had this vehicle. I started with on about 70,000. I received a letter a few months back stating that it’s a lawsuit in effect for 2010-2013 7.4L engines. I just received a letter last month stating that any money I’ve spent pertaining to oil consumption ruin problems would be reimbursed. From my understanding it’s something dealing with the engine. I’ll let you know what I find out in the following days. I plan to take it to the dealership before the end of the week. FYI: Remove your air filter & turn it on the side. If oil comes out then it’s definitely something wrong with your engine.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I wish I could shed some light, but unfortunately, I also have this problem. Mine goes as such; purchased new 2016 equinox LS AWD with just over the warrantied 60k now at 65k miles. ABS, Service Stabilitrac, and All Wheel Drive Off but all the scan tools(Oreilly's and my own) I have tried show no codes. I am apprehensive about taking the car to the dealer after reading such stories, if they can't find the problem with codes, how will they find the issue with no codes? And the warranty had just lapsed! What luck!
My issue had started while driving in a snowstorm here in Denver. The car was driving normal, then the Service Stabilitrac light began to glow. I pulled into an auto parts store and turned off the ignition, then started the car again. The light was off! I pulled back onto the road and drove for maybe 2 miles before the light came back along with "ABS" and "All Wheel Drive Off " lights burning. Not a great way to continue my 30mi. drive up the mountains to my home in the Rockies with 6" of fresh snow in 2wd with no ABS, at least it wasn't in limp-mode.
I have been searching for the issue or somewhere to get started, the 4cyl version doesn't have an EGR. I'm leaning towards a speed sensor as the weather was crap when the issue arose. It would be better to know which but AFAIK the car hasn't thrown any codes. I could go through each speed sensor and check for continuity and resistance but not sure if it would help. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, so other than getting hosed at the dealer, is there anything else I could look into? Thanks!
Old March 6th, 2020, 7:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ScooterYo44
Well, I wish I could shed some light, but unfortunately, I also have this problem. Mine goes as such; purchased new 2016 equinox LS AWD with just over the warrantied 60k now at 65k miles. ABS, Service Stabilitrac, and All Wheel Drive Off but all the scan tools(Oreilly's and my own) I have tried show no codes. I am apprehensive about taking the car to the dealer after reading such stories, if they can't find the problem with codes, how will they find the issue with no codes? And the warranty had just lapsed! What luck!
My issue had started while driving in a snowstorm here in Denver. The car was driving normal, then the Service Stabilitrac light began to glow. I pulled into an auto parts store and turned off the ignition, then started the car again. The light was off! I pulled back onto the road and drove for maybe 2 miles before the light came back along with "ABS" and "All Wheel Drive Off " lights burning. Not a great way to continue my 30mi. drive up the mountains to my home in the Rockies with 6" of fresh snow in 2wd with no ABS, at least it wasn't in limp-mode.
I have been searching for the issue or somewhere to get started, the 4cyl version doesn't have an EGR. I'm leaning towards a speed sensor as the weather was crap when the issue arose. It would be better to know which but AFAIK the car hasn't thrown any codes. I could go through each speed sensor and check for continuity and resistance but not sure if it would help. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, so other than getting hosed at the dealer, is there anything else I could look into? Thanks!
To do your own diagnosis or work you need your own code reader to check when a issue happens. Probably a wheel sensor is acting up and with the scan tool you will know which one it is. Today a scan tool is more important than hand tools.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

Hi, is this an issue with Chevy models around this year? I have the same issue with my 2014 Chevy Sonic

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern and can fully understand your frustrations. Please let me know if you would like for us to look further into this concern for you. If any extra assistance is needed please feel free to send a PM referencing your concern. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 14th, 2020, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 6.0 cyl. and I thought I was having problems with my throttle body because I got the "Service stabiltrak" and "Reduced engine power" messages. So I changed my throttle body and still got those messages and also heard somewhat of a screeching noise in the engine area. I thought it may have been the fan belt but the noise doesn't seem to come from the area of the belt. I disconnected the battery because I thought that the system needed to be reset in order for things to calm down or for the new part to catch on, but the results are the same. I even changed the air filter and still nothing. Can anyone help me with this problem.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light