Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2015, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2014 SIlverado in the fire dept and the stabilitrac warning started almost immediately. Turns out there is a service bulletin for it and it concerns doing something with the main wire harness to the ECM. Not sure what chevy did, but the message is gone now.
Old January 8th, 2015, 4:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GrrrrrChevy
I have had this problem for a few weeks on my 2011 Equinox and finally had a chance to take it to the dealership. It shut down 27 times in the 30 miles between home and the dealership. Reading these posts doesn't give me much hope, however if it is figured out by the guys here I will update ya'll.
Hello there,

Our apologies for this! We would be more than happy to look into this further if necessary. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership. Were you able to get any information today from the dealership? Looking forward to your updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrack/check engine light

I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox and my check engine light came on and the little screen said Stabili track disabled engine running at low power. Couldn't go above 40! Almost got hit by a semi trying to get off the road. Have been looking and no one can figure out whatis the cause of this! I don't want to have to spends u ch of money just to find out that it still isn't fixed!! Have a recall fix on Wednesday, but not sure I canwait that long

Can anybody help?
Old January 9th, 2015, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

I live in Houston too. I have a 2012 cruze that was making a hissing sound under the hood and caused the car to jerk on idle. I changed the valve cover and that stopped. However the service stabilitrak message and engine light are still on it's annoying. I don't have warranty on it it's 51000 miles. I am also dealing with a 2011 Malibu throwing all kinds of code on the dash like service esc, traction, airbag and the rest even after changing computer. I am not happy with Chevy at all. If you have warranty, I advise you to take it to autonation Chevrolet on the southeast by 45 and beltway. They do a great job even though they are all the same stealerships but they have experts.
Old January 9th, 2015, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 2011 Equinox Stablitrak Issue

Last night, coldest night of the year in Georgia, my husband and I were traveling home via Interstate, our Equinox very abruptly lost power. The vehicle would not accelerate. My husband took foot off accelerator and reapplied pressure, the vehicle would then go about 20-25 miles per hour. We were in the middle of nowhere and had to travel about 40 miles home. It took us quite sometime to get here. The car engine vibrated/shook. We remembered having several recall letters on this car. I have also found numerous service bulletins that have been issued (online). When we called this morning to Paul Thigpen Chevrolet, the service consultant (Dann Dismuke) told us it would be a charge of $75.oo to hook the machine and to scope the problem.
We had a heck of a time getting them (before new owner took 0ver) to fix the problem where the engine would rough when at an idle speed. It is idling ten times rougher now. We are Chevrolet people but this Equinox is making us rethink our loyalty.
Are there recalls or bulletins on this issue. From my research this seems to be a problem with the Stablitrax. That is the message we saw on our dash display last night. The check engine light came on as soon as the engine began to lose power. Should we have to be paying for this check up?
Thank you so much for your time and answer to this message.
VIN#2CNALDEC8B6268113
Linda Page
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by minear_99
I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox and my check engine light came on and the little screen said Stabili track disabled engine running at low power...I don't want to have to spends u ch of money just to find out that it still isn't fixed!! Have a recall fix on Wednesday, but not sure I canwait that long

Can anybody help?
We'd like to look more into this situation, minear. We sincerely apologize for the trouble you experienced with your Equinox. Please send us your VIN and contact info is you'd like our assistance.

Originally Posted by chiyex
I live in Houston too. I have a 2012 cruze that was making a hissing sound under the hood and caused the car to jerk on idle. I changed the valve cover and that stopped. However the service stabilitrak message and engine light are still on it's annoying. I don't have warranty on it it's 51000 miles. I am also dealing with a 2011 Malibu throwing all kinds of code on the dash like service esc, traction, airbag and the rest even after changing computer. I am not happy with Chevy at all...
Hi chiyex,

We understand you're having some concerns with both your Chevrolet vehicles. We know you've worked with your local dealership in the past, and we'd be happy to follow up with them and offer our assistance. We want you to have the best vehicle experience possible. Please PM us your VIN and contact info if interested.

Originally Posted by ljacksonpage
Last night, coldest night of the year in Georgia, my husband and I were traveling home via Interstate, our Equinox very abruptly lost power. The vehicle would not accelerate...When we called this morning to Paul Thigpen Chevrolet, the service consultant (Dann Dismuke) told us it would be a charge of $75.oo to hook the machine and to scope the problem... We are Chevrolet people but this Equinox is making us rethink our loyalty... Are there recalls or bulletins on this issue... The check engine light came on as soon as the engine began to lose power. Should we have to be paying for this check up?
Thank you so much for your time and answer to this message.
VIN#2CNALDEC8B6268113
Linda Page
Please know your loyalty is very important to us, Linda, and we're truly sorry to learn of your experience. We've researched your VIN and there is one recall associated with your vehicle, but it does not relate to what you encountered. We'd like to work on contacting Paul Thigpen Chevrolet to discuss your concerns further and get this issue resolved. Please private message us your full contact information at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox Stabilitrak problems makes this car a deathtrap

Want to help? Recall this car!!! I have 72k on my Equinox and have owned it for less than a year, "Certified," and nothing is quite as frightening as driving on the highway and the Stabilitrak kicks in, dropping your engine power to 25MPH! The fact that you have yet to order a recall in this (but you send possible recall notices in the mail to all Chevy owners for far less serious matters) is disgusting. Get your act together and listen to all your customers on these posts!!!
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern and can fully understand your frustrations. Please let me know if you would like for us to look further into this concern for you. If any extra assistance is needed please feel free to send a PM referencing your concern. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 9th, 2015, 1:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi Mark,

I certainly understand your concern and I'd like to look into this matter for you. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information, and dealership name. I look forward to helping!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care
Old January 9th, 2015, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 2101 Chevy Tahoe Stabiltrak and engine power reduced

While driving home from Nashville my daughter in law had her 2010 Chevy Tahoe drop from 75 miles and hour on I 24 to 15 miles and hour. She was out in the middle of a dead zone coming back to South Carolina with my 2 Grandsons ages 10 months and 5 years and 20 degrees outside. Thank goodness we were able to text and I was able to do a search on the internet for a temporary fix. Had her shut off the car and wait 5 minutes... turned back on... but did not reset... turned off again repeating the process and the second time and two very cold children she was able to get it started and made it back home without any further incidents. Called today and spoke with Chevy and they were very kind and concerned and gave me a #71 file number and made an appointment to get the SUV in next week. I am concerned because the dealer here in South Carolina sounded more like they wanted to make a buck then make the car safe or except it as a "known issue of Chevy". To be continued.
Old January 9th, 2015, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Negative battery cable

Hey guys, I'm reading in a different forum for the cruze that there was some sort of special bulletin extended coverage for the negative battery cable/connector... I didn't have the time to try out putting a new cable in before towing the car to the dealership, but it all makes sense that if the battery is not grounded properly and the negative cable is at all not allowing the correct voltage through.... There would be a slur of electronic problems in the car.... Anyone else try this yet?

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light