Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2015, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmac123456
On Saturday I was driving my 2011Chevy Equinox, that I love to a mall in Pottsville, PA. I was going up a hill and all of a sudden I got a message. Engine Power Reduced and something about the traction control. My speed was greatly reduced, put my flashers on so I wouldn't get rear ended by trucks and other passing cars. Safely pulled over when I could, it was at a ford dealership. They told me there was a local Chevy place, went there, only 2 guys in service dept. doing oil changes only, no help, I was told to bring it back. When I left the Chevy place to go home, the car seemed to be fine, but did have the engine light on. Last night went to go to work, night shift, I guess it reset itself. No signs of anything wrong. What is going on ? What do I do ? My Chevy has on 38,000 miles on it. Is this covered by chevy ? Help!!!
Autozone, O'Reilly and advance auto parts will read the codes for free. My issue was an egr valve but I never had reduced power. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Any chevy reps on line ? can you help me ?
Old January 20th, 2015, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default StabiLack Problems

I have personally had this happen 4 times in the last week, one other time broken down for other reason. Anyway, a good place to start is a scan tool.

After the scan tool, clear the codes. of course write them down first.
I have seen that many times this issue is:
Mass airflow sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, ABS sensor related.

If no code, clean MAF with MAF cleaner.
Check TPS connector, harness, wiring for cracks. Check TPS for power with multimeter, voltage changes.
If you notice the car surges, idles rough, is hesitant when gas pedal is applied, hard shifting then you will likely have a TPS going bad. It may work intermittently and then suddenly stop, car cuts off. Restarts 5 min later. Then TPS works, then later it repeats problem. I have had these going bad with no code to prove it. But relatively the symptoms are infamous.

Also, you may consider Idle air control valve, EGR valve.

Try to drive it. But honestly, stay close to home, I have had many cutouts with these systems.
Obviously this is a starting point, there are many other issues that may occur, yet this is the most common in my own families experience. We've worked on a whole lot of Chevys.
Old January 20th, 2015, 2:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmac123456
Any chevy reps on line ? can you help me ?
We can certainly look into this the best way possible! We do apologize for these concerns with your vehicle, and we would be happy to assist. Please feel free to send us a private message along with her VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 25th, 2015, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have the same problem

Originally Posted by gemleroy
I have a 2010 Equinox with less than 35k miles. Since August we have been experiencing problems with the Stabilitrak. The engine runs but we lose power. The first time I took it to the dealer they could not figure out what happened. They had it for about a week and returned it hoping they fixed it. It happened again a month later, almost stranding my daughter-in-law on a busy highway. We took it in again and they could not figure out why this continues to happen. They're not able to replicate the issue, they drive it for a few days and all seems to be working. The 3rd time this happened the message came on again to service Stabilitrak, the check engine light came on and the car had almost no power. the engine continues to run but we could not drive more than 25 miles per hr. We luckily made it to the dealer and kept the engine running. They could not read the error code using a portable diagnostic reader so they kept the car and replaced the throttle box. Again, hoping this would be the answer. Yesterday the car began shifting gears really hard and bam...error message and loss of power again. We let the car sit for an hour and started it again. It seemed to have some power but after driving it a few miles it loss power and we coasted off the highway (I10 in Houston I might add which was extremely scary!). Let it sit again for 20 minutes and the car started up again, no Stabilitrak error but the check engine light is on and RPM's were running high. We pulled off the highway to fill up and the care & ran OK, although a very scary few miles on a busy interstate. We are taking it back to the dealer service center again but would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I owned a 2007 Equinox and I loved it prior to purchasing the 2010 used with 23k miles. I don't put that many miles on my car and take very good care of my vehicle. We've always been a Chevy household but I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the problems we've been experiencing and the fact that even the dealership isn't able to fix it. I am crossing my fingers but have little hope they will figure it out. Not sure we will invest in Chevy ever again.
I have the same problem.. Exactly the same on my 2011 Equinox. I'm pissed and want don't know what to do. I barely drive it now. What do I do? Did u ever fix the problem?
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Deesmoove1021
I have the same problem.. Exactly the same on my 2011 Equinox. I'm pissed and want don't know what to do. I barely drive it now. What do I do? Did u ever fix the problem?
I'm set to be on my 3rd engine with a 2010. Best of luck to the other owners out there.
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

I've had all these issues with the 2010 Equinox. Chevy has sent me letters on 3 different issues saying they will keep fixing them as long as I own the car. That's nice but how about the safety concerns while driving and all the time off work? I traded today so am looking forward to driving to work tomorrow with feeling safer. Good luck to you all. There is a lemon law in NC and I was talking with an attorney about that already.
Old January 26th, 2015, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Well. I hope my dealer and his service team figure it out. On sat I and my wife drove 40 miles to the dealer where I got the 2011 Chevy Equinox. They gave me a loaner car and promised to take care of it. I hope they do. If this is an ongoing issue, WHY DOESN'T CHEVY step up and FIX THIS PROBLEM ? Good Luck to all of US. I think WE are GOING to need it.
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default stabilitrack problems

Originally Posted by AllenC412
I have a 2007 Equinox with 76k miles. The service stabilitrak, service traction control and check engine lights recently came on along with "engine power reduced". The RPM's were also jumping from 700-1500 while idling. These symptoms would happen sporadically and didn't really seem to have any type of pattern as to when it happened or why. I do know that the engine power cutting out while I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph was not the safest position to be in as the car fell from 70 to 40 and there was nothing I could do about it.

I had the codes read at AutoZone and it came back to the EGR valve, $90 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to change it myself. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem.

I did some research online and I convinced myself it was the "throttle position sensor" which in an Equinox is part of the "accelerator pedal position sensor" - $70 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to fix it myself. Again, this did not fix the problem.

On the advice of a buddy I added dry gas and Sea Foam to a full tank of gas. While the car was still sluggish it felt like it was getting progressively better and the warning lights were off. I was able to burn off the tank without the issues resurfacing. However, I refilled my tank - added another Sea Foam, and the following morning I am back where I started. All of the lights are on and the engine power is reduced.

I am at a loss. I am completely defeated with this problem and totally abandoned by Chevrolet. In reading and researching this is obviously a common problem with Chevy, but no one seems to have found or posted a concrete solution.

If I find something that works, I will let you and everyone else know. If you get any type of answers, I would whole-heartedly appreciate your feedback.

I, like you, am ready to take my money elsewhere.
I have the same problems with my Chevy Cruze. I recently learned that as soon as I start the car I push the traction control button in and hold it down for 5 seconds and it completely turns off the traction control. I have been doing this for a couple of days and I have not had the problem since. I can't guarantee that this will work every time but it may help you as it has helped me. Good luck and please reply and let me know if you have any luck.
Old February 5th, 2015, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

I wish chevy would just step up and fix this issue. I complained to my dealer and got the car in to be checked. They changed the throttle body and so far it has been ok. I haven't had any more issues. keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light