Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2015, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdreddy
I am sitting in Paul Conte Chevy service as I write this. My 2010 Equinox is in for the same Reduced power/ Stabilitrack/ P2135 code like most others are experiencing in this thread. My service coordinator Ethan, who is good and seems very willing to help, just informed me I need a new Throttle Body assembly that will cost $789 before tax (RIDICULOUS! I know) and including needed oil change. I have been just dealing with this problem for over a month because it took so long to get an appointment. Leaving me a lot of time to research this common issue and have not found any posts from people with the same problem saying its actually been fixed.

I guess I am writing this because I have no faith that this will be fixed and just want to get it on record so I can say "I told ya so!" to Chevy, not that they care.

I'll check back with you all in a while and let you know if this was the fix.

Wish me luck.
So it has been just over a month since I had the Throttle Body replaced because the throttle position sensor went bad and so far so good. No more occurrences of "Reduced Power..." I will check back if anything changes for me. Good luck you all.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default my 2010 Equinox has the same probelm!

Whenever I drove locally with red light waiting for more than 20 minutes, the service stabilitrak and check engine lights will be on and the whole car will shake a little. But, when I pull over, turn off the engine and restart the engine again, the the service stabilitrak light is gone for a while with the check engine light still on and then both service stabilitrak and check engine lights will be on again. If I drove high way for a long distance (50 miles), the service stabilitrak and check engine lights will disappear. Today, I drove this car to the Zoo with my 7-year-old girl and we are in the traffic jam for around 30 minutes. It turns out that the service stabilitrak and check engine lights were on again and the car loses its power several times. Finally, I pull it over and wait for about 5 minutes to restart it. Thanks god, I make it started and drive all the way home.

Actually, I have sent the car to the dealer last year because of the check engine light problem. The dealer tell me that it is because there is lot of carbon accumulation in the engine. They charged me around 300 bucks to clean it. But the engine light problem is not gone. At the same time, the service stabilitrak light problem came up with the car shaking.

I just want to get some help from the chevy customer service in case the dealer drain my blood again. Thanks.

Old April 6th, 2015, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Post 2007 Equinox with stabilitrack issues

Originally Posted by moonover
07 equinox with 80k miles, just had a fuel pump recall/warrenty and now having these idle problems and stability/traction control lights come on. I see where this is all related. My chevy garage will not yet agree with me. Getting frustrated.
I bought mine used this time and it has been nothing but a royal pain in the **** from day one. I had an Impala before this and I regret not buying another one. The equinox is nothing but a money pit and by reading the response from the chevy rep I think it's time to get rid of this lemon and move on. Not even the manufacturer knows how to fix the stabilitrack. What a disappointment.
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default warranty or not

I reported this issue while my warranty was in effect it is now done. What happens if they find the problem afterwards?
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrak issues

I ave a Traverse 2010 and experiencing these same issues. So "ohmema" I have 3000 miles till my warranty is up. So did you find out if they will cover it if we continue to find problems? That is what I am scared of because I cannot out of pocket pay for this dang problem if it goes over the mileage. They are telling me that it is fine now they cannot figure it out please pick it up
Old April 18th, 2015, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Happened again

Nice sunshine day driving on the interstate & boom! Stability track service light & engine service light come on. I didn't lose power this time but really would like to know why this happens. Last time I had it in for service was told to stop in when it happens. Unless they are open 24 hrs a day that won't happen. Come on figure this out. I go in for regular service this week can't wait to see what they say this time.
Originally Posted by gemleroy
I have a 2010 Equinox with less than 35k miles. Since August we have been experiencing problems with the Stabilitrak. The engine runs but we lose power. The first time I took it to the dealer they could not figure out what happened. They had it for about a week and returned it hoping they fixed it. It happened again a month later, almost stranding my daughter-in-law on a busy highway. We took it in again and they could not figure out why this continues to happen. They're not able to replicate the issue, they drive it for a few days and all seems to be working. The 3rd time this happened the message came on again to service Stabilitrak, the check engine light came on and the car had almost no power. the engine continues to run but we could not drive more than 25 miles per hr. We luckily made it to the dealer and kept the engine running. They could not read the error code using a portable diagnostic reader so they kept the car and replaced the throttle box. Again, hoping this would be the answer. Yesterday the car began shifting gears really hard and bam...error message and loss of power again. We let the car sit for an hour and started it again. It seemed to have some power but after driving it a few miles it loss power and we coasted off the highway (I10 in Houston I might add which was extremely scary!). Let it sit again for 20 minutes and the car started up again, no Stabilitrak error but the check engine light is on and RPM's were running high. We pulled off the highway to fill up and the care & ran OK, although a very scary few miles on a busy interstate. We are taking it back to the dealer service center again but would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I owned a 2007 Equinox and I loved it prior to purchasing the 2010 used with 23k miles. I don't put that many miles on my car and take very good care of my vehicle. We've always been a Chevy household but I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the problems we've been experiencing and the fact that even the dealership isn't able to fix it. I am crossing my fingers but have little hope they will figure it out. Not sure we will invest in Chevy ever again.
Old April 18th, 2015, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Question 2008 chevy equinox

My 2008 equinox had the stabilitrack and abs light come on during the winter. I spoke with a rep. and he said it was overworking. I turned the ignition off and back on and the lights still came on. I then waited until the weather warmed up and drove it and the lights came on again intermittently. I then called the dealership and explained how the light doesn't stay on until it is driven for some distance then it comes on and stays on. I had not driven it because I was scared so I finally got an appointment and took it in, the light was not on. They told me it would be about 1.5 hours to diagnose, they put it on a computer and it gave some codes. They needed additional time to figure out the codes. My vehicle was there 6 hours and they drove it for 15 miles and the light still did not come on. Result- nothing. Drove it today and the light came on. Help, this is frustrating and I don't like a vehicle depreciating while sitting in my driveway and not being driven.
Old April 19th, 2015, 1:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmema
I reported this issue while my warranty was in effect it is now done. What happens if they find the problem afterwards?
Who knows. Probably nothing.

but of course, the squeaky wheel gets the grease sometimes at least, right?
Old April 19th, 2015, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by VA2NC
My 2008 equinox had the stabilitrack and abs light come on during the winter. I spoke with a rep. and he said it was overworking. I turned the ignition off and back on and the lights still came on. I then waited until the weather warmed up and drove it and the lights came on again intermittently. I then called the dealership and explained how the light doesn't stay on until it is driven for some distance then it comes on and stays on. I had not driven it because I was scared so I finally got an appointment and took it in, the light was not on. They told me it would be about 1.5 hours to diagnose, they put it on a computer and it gave some codes. They needed additional time to figure out the codes. My vehicle was there 6 hours and they drove it for 15 miles and the light still did not come on. Result- nothing. Drove it today and the light came on. Help, this is frustrating and I don't like a vehicle depreciating while sitting in my driveway and not being driven.
My issue was a bad EGR valve. Auto zone can read codes for free. Might save you money if you start there. Could be a bad wheel sensor also.
Old April 19th, 2015, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue with my 2011 Chevy Equinox, stabilitrack and abs light came on and got a notice of reduced power. I could only go @ 35 mph. I called my dealer, got the car in to be checked, it took 4 days. They said it was the throttle body and replaced it for free. I haven't had any issues since that time. Good Luck to all.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light