Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2015, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stabilitrak, Traction control service lights on and jerking while breaking

Hi, I have a used 2008 equinox LT with about 108,800 . I purchased it in August 2012 and by Jan 2013 I had to repair all the spark plugs and their wires, bc my car would give me trouble accelerating up hills. The replacement fixed my problem and it was covered under an internal bulletin. However, about one month ago, while driving on a rainy condition highway, I stopped suddenly to merge and my car threw a code; the Stabilitrek and Traction control lights continued to flash and stated they needed to be serviced. I tried to look into it but never found any results. The lights are not consistent so it is hard to gage when I need to bring it to a dealership to have the codes read. Recently, not only are the lights randomly going off but I notice when I break, especially on declines, my car breaks but it jerks back and forth. My car jerks like a music blasting teenagers car. I am not sure if it could be the ABS sensor? I really hope it is not the spark plugs again bc they were all changed only 2 years ago! I do not want to go to a chevy dealer bc I have not had great experience with the ones I live near in CT and I do not have lots of money to spend to have them diagnose it . Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is my second Chevy vehicle and I really might think twice next time I purchase my next vehicle.
Old April 29th, 2015, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bdandrea19
Hi, I have a used 2008 equinox LT with about 108,800 . I purchased it in August 2012 and by Jan 2013 I had to repair all the spark plugs and their wires, bc my car would give me trouble accelerating up hills. The replacement fixed my problem and it was covered under an internal bulletin. However, about one month ago, while driving on a rainy condition highway, I stopped suddenly to merge and my car threw a code; the Stabilitrek and Traction control lights continued to flash and stated they needed to be serviced. I tried to look into it but never found any results. The lights are not consistent so it is hard to gage when I need to bring it to a dealership to have the codes read. Recently, not only are the lights randomly going off but I notice when I break, especially on declines, my car breaks but it jerks back and forth. My car jerks like a music blasting teenagers car. I am not sure if it could be the ABS sensor? I really hope it is not the spark plugs again bc they were all changed only 2 years ago! I do not want to go to a chevy dealer bc I have not had great experience with the ones I live near in CT and I do not have lots of money to spend to have them diagnose it . Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is my second Chevy vehicle and I really might think twice next time I purchase my next vehicle.
Autozone, advance auto parts, and O'Reilly auto parts read codes for free. If there was a code thrown, it will show up even if lights aren't on. I'm thinking EGR valve.
Old July 27th, 2015, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Penny

I am having the same problems with my 07 equinox. I was told by a friend with the same car but newer that the dealers couldn't figure out there problem either so he changed the EGR sensor and hasn't had the problem since then. That was 2 yrs ago and many miles. I will be trying this and let you know how it worked for me
Old July 28th, 2015, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Equinox issues

I agree 100% this can't be a fluke with this many people have issues with Stability Track lights, lack of speed.
They keep telling me I need to bring it in when it does it but they are not open those hours & when they do get me in they say nothing shows up or they can't get it to do any of those things.
This started while I was still under warranty & is still happening. My Equinox is s 2012 & it seems with the years of cars I am seeing on this site it has been going on long enough.
Chevrolet needs to address this issue now before someone has an accident.

Originally Posted by bigmac123456
I think EVERYONE needs to band together and COMPLAIN to CHEVY constantly UNTIL Chevy does the right thing. FIX THIS PROBLEM, ONCE and FOR ALL and AT NO CHARGE TO THE VICTIMS of THIS ISSUE.
Old September 12th, 2015, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

About a week ago while driving to a function, it was raining and randomly on the freeway my equinox gave me the StabiliTrak error and engine power reduced, it eventually cleared itself and was fine for another week. Than today after washing my vehicle, same thing, I leave for a wedding in 45 minutes and my vehicle is not operational? I didn't spend the kind of money i did on this (brand new) vehicle for it to have the issues of an old vehicle. Not impressed with chevy on this one. Considering how up until this point how much I have been ranting and raving to everyone on how much I enjoyed my new vehicle.
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Pryma
About a week ago while driving to a function, it was raining and randomly on the freeway my equinox gave me the StabiliTrak error and engine power reduced, it eventually cleared itself and was fine for another week. Than today after washing my vehicle, same thing, I leave for a wedding in 45 minutes and my vehicle is not operational? I didn't spend the kind of money i did on this (brand new) vehicle for it to have the issues of an old vehicle. Not impressed with chevy on this one. Considering how up until this point how much I have been ranting and raving to everyone on how much I enjoyed my new vehicle.
Hello Chris,

We sincerely apologize that you Equinox has recently started to exhibit StabiliTrak and engine concerns, and am sorry for any inconveniences they have caused for you. We would be more than happy to look further into this concern for you, and would like to provide assistance in the best way possible. Please send us a private message with the following information: VIN, current mileage, full contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response, and are available if you have any other questions.

Have a wonderful day,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 3rd, 2015, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitytrack Light

The light of stabilitytrack was activated on my vehicle. The problem was solved by aligning the vehicle. Therefore ,misalignment can be a possible cause for stabilitrack light activation.
Old November 6th, 2015, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Chevy knows about this

I had a similar issue and after MUCH research found that equinox is know to use oil but until it is excessive by chevy's standards they will not do anything about it. My wifes car actually died several times and the code said cam shaft position sensor. 1 quart of oil later problem solved. The dipstick indicated low oil as well so this was not 1 quart over full it was 1 quart of oil used by the car.
Old November 20th, 2015, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have this problem to

I have been able to just put break fluid in for a while and the problem would be fine but now all of a sudden the burning smell and vibration when u press the breaks is happening! I am so scared to drive! I have 3 kids! This is insane! When it comes down to breaks u would think this would be the top of chevy's priority list! A very heart broken customer!
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default chevy sucks

Having same problem w 2014 cruze!! I hate this car it doesn't even have cruise control so y do they call it a cruze! ?? Thinking of contacting a lemon law attorney and Contacting BBB!! POS!!!!

Originally Posted by gemleroy
I have a 2010 Equinox with less than 35k miles. Since August we have been experiencing problems with the Stabilitrak. The engine runs but we lose power. The first time I took it to the dealer they could not figure out what happened. They had it for about a week and returned it hoping they fixed it. It happened again a month later, almost stranding my daughter-in-law on a busy highway. We took it in again and they could not figure out why this continues to happen. They're not able to replicate the issue, they drive it for a few days and all seems to be working. The 3rd time this happened the message came on again to service Stabilitrak, the check engine light came on and the car had almost no power. the engine continues to run but we could not drive more than 25 miles per hr. We luckily made it to the dealer and kept the engine running. They could not read the error code using a portable diagnostic reader so they kept the car and replaced the throttle box. Again, hoping this would be the answer. Yesterday the car began shifting gears really hard and bam...error message and loss of power again. We let the car sit for an hour and started it again. It seemed to have some power but after driving it a few miles it loss power and we coasted off the highway (I10 in Houston I might add which was extremely scary!). Let it sit again for 20 minutes and the car started up again, no Stabilitrak error but the check engine light is on and RPM's were running high. We pulled off the highway to fill up and the care & ran OK, although a very scary few miles on a busy interstate. We are taking it back to the dealer service center again but would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I owned a 2007 Equinox and I loved it prior to purchasing the 2010 used with 23k miles. I don't put that many miles on my car and take very good care of my vehicle. We've always been a Chevy household but I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the problems we've been experiencing and the fact that even the dealership isn't able to fix it. I am crossing my fingers but have little hope they will figure it out. Not sure we will invest in Chevy ever again.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light