Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2015, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add me to the list

I have a similar story to tell. My 2011 equinox essentially stopped moving and offered up the engine message about Engine power being reduced and needing to service stabilitrack.

It has been very cold in Maryland, averaging about 20° the last two days. That seems to be a connecting issue among a lot of these vehicles.

Both times, after loading the car sit for about 10 minutes, the car was able to return to typical power. However, the check engine light remains on at this point.
Originally Posted by Nut4health
Hey guys, I'm reading in a different forum for the cruze that there was some sort of special bulletin extended coverage for the negative battery cable/connector... I didn't have the time to try out putting a new cable in before towing the car to the dealership, but it all makes sense that if the battery is not grounded properly and the negative cable is at all not allowing the correct voltage through.... There would be a slur of electronic problems in the car.... Anyone else try this yet?
Old January 10th, 2015, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Hey bro, for the low engine power I would advise you start with replacement of the negative cable that goes to the battery. It's the common solution to the engine powering down issue.
Old January 10th, 2015, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Turns out that the dielectric grease was a short term fix. My cruze is back to the "service stabilitrak" and engine power is reduced.... I'm forced to call a tow truck and take it to the dealership. I reapplied the grease two more times and it did nothing... It just hit about - 1° here in Chicago the other day, so I have a feeling the cold dry air may have something to do with it... But hopefully the dealership can determine that
I was really hoping that the grease would take care of the issue. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'll keep my head up for solutions. If you find something, please let me know. I'll do the same.
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default $439 for a new throttle body assembly

Dealership found that the code coming back was a bad throttle body assembly... Something I understand is pretty easy to replace yourself... Unfortunately my car wouldn't even drive out the parking spot it was in the other day so I had it towed to the dealership and an forced to find out whether th is $439 expense will "do the trick".

On a bright note, I am getting a hyundai sonata for a greatly reduced rental rate from their enterprise on location... Nice car and very spacious if anyone else is getting tired of dealing with the cruze's constant problems... I've had this cruze for exactly 2 years, barely 50k miles and so far I've had the radio replaced, usb port replaced on another occasion, one seat heater element replaced, then the other seat heater element a couple months later- and now this. And to put the cherry on the cake, I'm probably upside down trading it in $1000.

I've definitely lost faith in the cruze's reliability. A shame since my dealership has done a great job of servicing me thus far. But where is Gm? I see these gm reps on here and other forms constantly saying sorry and suggesting that with your Vin and some other information they might contact your dealership and do something to help resolve the problem... But I'm not hearing from anyone that their issue was resolved and from dates on some of these forums, It appears these problems have been going on for some time.

GM... Are you gonna step up?
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

i went to do an alignment, came back and after stopping at aautozone where they scanned my car for the codes, the service traction and stabilitract disappeared. however i still have check engine light on. i want to try applying the dielectric grease to the pcm male and pemale pins but i am having a hard time taking them off. can someone help pls? any video?
Old January 12th, 2015, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default I'm lost too

New guy here. My 07 Nox with about 114,000 miles on it (I'm the original owner) started showing the infamous "Service Stabilitrak" "Service Traction Control" and a check engine light about 6 months ago. Occasionally I would also get a faulty TPMS sensor light and it was always the left front tire. So, through various forums and a printout from autozone, I figured I'd try replacing the EGR valve (just the valve not the tube). Well, that actually seemed to work for about 6 months. No warnings or check engine lights. I never had any performance issues, just annoying lights. Well last month, all the lights returned, but they don't stay on all the time. It's very weird, when I fill the gas tank, usually the Stabilitrak and Traction Control go off until it hits 3/4 tank, then lights up. The check engine usually goes by the same schedule. Maybe this is all a coincidence, maybe not. Just to be sure, I replaced my original gas cap with a new AC Delco OEM. That didn't seem to solve the issue. Still no performance issues, but I fear they might be coming. Still have the original plugs and wires, going to replace them soon anyway, but their locations are scaring me a bit and might want to bring it to the dealer. Anyone have any input or similar issues? Thanks.
Old January 12th, 2015, 9:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Dealership found that the code coming back was a bad throttle body assembly... Something I understand is pretty easy to replace yourself... Unfortunately my car wouldn't even drive out the parking spot it was in the other day so I had it towed to the dealership and an forced to find out whether th is $439 expense will "do the trick".

On a bright note, I am getting a hyundai sonata for a greatly reduced rental rate from their enterprise on location... Nice car and very spacious if anyone else is getting tired of dealing with the cruze's constant problems... I've had this cruze for exactly 2 years, barely 50k miles and so far I've had the radio replaced, usb port replaced on another occasion, one seat heater element replaced, then the other seat heater element a couple months later- and now this. And to put the cherry on the cake, I'm probably upside down trading it in $1000.

I've definitely lost faith in the cruze's reliability. A shame since my dealership has done a great job of servicing me thus far. But where is Gm? I see these gm reps on here and other forms constantly saying sorry and suggesting that with your Vin and some other information they might contact your dealership and do something to help resolve the problem... But I'm not hearing from anyone that their issue was resolved and from dates on some of these forums, It appears these problems have been going on for some time.

GM... Are you gonna step up?

Hey there,

We apologize for this, and do recognize these concerns. We certainly understand your frustrations, and would be happy to assist you further if necessary. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us in a private message, and be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you have been working with. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 17th, 2015, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Throttle body sensor/system & exhaust camshaft position sensor

Hey guys, I'm glad I found this thread.

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD 4 cylinder. Current mileage runs around 93k miles. Bought it used from the dealership just over one year ago (December 2013).

A little while back, my check engine light came on. Ran it and showed P00013. Exhaust Camshaft Position sensor. Cool, I'll get it replaced when it warms up, not that big of a deal.

The other day however, I was driving and I recieved the infamous "Service Stabilitrak" and "Reduced Engine Power" message while I was driving and my speeds drastically reduced. After nearly getting rear ended, and not being dramatic, I was able to pull off to the side of the road. I restarted the car and I was good for another mile or so. Filled the gas tank and put some cleaner in the fuel as well. Went to the dealership (Al Serra in Grand Blanc Michigan) and they told me I'd have to bring it in next week. They also said it could be the speed sensor. So I barely made it home, I did stall out in one intersection, where I waited a couple minutes and it restarted. I took it out yesterday again because it was warmer, and it did the same thing.

We ran the codes again, and it said Throttle Body Sensor/System. Upon doing my research, this seems to be the problem, and the whole system needs to be replaced. I was told that this is NOT covered under warranty even though its directly part of the powertrain. I'm taking the vehicle in Monday morning. I really cannot afford this repair since I am off work due to injury, so I'm worried its going to run in the 400-500 range from my research.

Does anyone know where the Throttle Body System/Sensor is located? I know on some vehicles, its right on top and is held on with 4 bolts and can be easily removed and cleaned as well.

Also, where is the Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor located?

Finally, another problem is I am burning through oil like no other. We did a oil life consumption test, and when I took it back to the dealership (Suski in Birch Run) they just gave the run around and said that is perfectly normal to burn oil. I am reading about timing chain issues and a few others. It's getting ridiculous. I came from Ford to a GM product and I am regretting my decision.

I just wanted to post what the most likely problem is and ask a few questions. If any of the GM folks want me to PM them, let me know. However unless you can get me a service bulletin, recall number, or warranty information, there is not much you can do about this. This is a significant danger to folks driving, I can confirm this most definitely.

Thank you all!

Last edited by mediccj; January 17th, 2015 at 3:46 PM.
Old January 18th, 2015, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Throttle body assembly

Wishing I was more of a mechanic and could tell you where to find that throttle body, but of what I understand, follow the air intake hose to the engine and it should be the metal opening with a large circular flap in it in between the intake and engine.

Supposedly the part is about $100 if you can replace it yourself, but my stealership charged me $200.

And then, once you have successfully replaced that part and it's running good (minus the oil burning thing of course)... I would highly suggest selling that thing and getting a Hyundai.
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Engine Power Reduced

On Saturday I was driving my 2011Chevy Equinox, that I love to a mall in Pottsville, PA. I was going up a hill and all of a sudden I got a message. Engine Power Reduced and something about the traction control. My speed was greatly reduced, put my flashers on so I wouldn't get rear ended by trucks and other passing cars. Safely pulled over when I could, it was at a ford dealership. They told me there was a local Chevy place, went there, only 2 guys in service dept. doing oil changes only, no help, I was told to bring it back. When I left the Chevy place to go home, the car seemed to be fine, but did have the engine light on. Last night went to go to work, night shift, I guess it reset itself. No signs of anything wrong. What is going on ? What do I do ? My Chevy has on 38,000 miles on it. Is this covered by chevy ? Help!!!

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light