Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2021, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Captiva

So it sounds like no one has found the accurate correction for this?

I have a 2013 Captiva that has less than 100k miles on it - yesterday after not using the truck for about 4 days I went to back it out of the garage - when I turned the key it started screeching like crazy. The noise stopped but then I got the Service Stabilitrack and Service Traction Control messages. Unlike others I did not get the loss of power and was able to drive without issue - however I'm afraid I might be heading to that same issue. If the lights are still on tonight I'm going to take it to O'reilly to see if they can give me a scan code.

I would really like to know the accurate repair rather than letting the dealership play a guessing game. If this has been going on since 2012 (per the date of this post) how the hell do they not know the corrective action in 2020 (based on last reply)??

This is now my second car but there's no point in keeping it as a back up if I'm just going to have to pour money in to it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old April 25th, 2021, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Chevy Captiva

I’ve been having these same issues. It happened a month ago. Then went away. Started again. Changed the Cham Shaft Position Sensor. Problem seemed to be good. Lasted a week. I was headed to work. Put my vehicle in cruise control and everything went to hell. Engine light. Reduced engine power light.
Service traction control. Stabilitrak. Reading this thread makes me sad. These seem like serious common issues with no fixes. Has anyone come up with a fix?
2014 Chevy Captive LTZ Sport. 97,000 miles.
Old April 25th, 2021, 6:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

No fix can be done until the cause of the problem is found..
Drive by wire, ,Electronic Throttle Control" has several components that must ALL work correctly . If for any reason one of them does not, the wrench light and C/E lights will illuminate and reduced power is initiated. This requires someone skilled with a capable scan tool and the knowledge of the system to troubleshoot it and determine the "Root Cause". There is no easy way to do this.
Old May 25th, 2021, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pmb13equinox
Hello, all!

So I own a 2013 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD. On my way to the store one day, my ABS began to pulsate aggressively, followed by the illumination of my traction control and ABS lights. Along with this, my information center displayed "Service Stabilitrak" and "AWD Off" warnings. After the warnings lit up, the computer bypassed the ABS and AWD, doing away with the pulsation, only to return briefly upon startup while reassessing the code, then returning to the same warnings. I pulled the code to discover a C0035 Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Supply (Subfault). Armed with this new info, I purchased the speed sensor, replaced said sensor, inspected and cleaned the contact on the pigtail harness, but still...same issue. I pulled the code once again to be sure that it was not throwing a new code. Knowing the sensor wasn't the issue, barring a defective part, I returned it and purchased an OEM hub/bearing assembly. I installed this yesterday, also to no avail. Pulled the code again to be sure, and again, the same code. My thinking has brought me to a couple of conclusions as to where the problem can be, and my next logical step would be the pigtail harness that goes from the sensor plug to the EBCM. Does this seem to make sense to you all? Would that be a safe assumption, or would I be better suited spending $109/hr for diagnostic at my local mechanic shop? My only other question is where can I locate the pigtail harness I would need if following my initial plan? Everywhere I look, I'm only able to locate the speed sensor, but not the pigtail. My other hurdle has been an inundation of '05-'09 Equinox threads and parts, but next to nothing for my body style. I anxiously await reply, as my employment greatly requires my AWD capabilities!
I was wondering if you ever figured out the problem? I have a 2010 Equinox with the exact same issue
Old August 8th, 2021, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Trying this and hoping.

2014 Equinox 2.4, swapped engines 3-4 months ago. Replaced cats when light came on and was diagnosed to, after that everything went to hell. Stabilitrak light, engine light, tire pressure light, low engine power light, etc.
Replaced every sensor we can possibly find and have come to the solution of replacing the main computer that sits atop the battery. We were informed from our chevy dealer that this part after awhile will just go bad.
Well low and behold, we order a new one and the damn thing doesnt start. Car cant recognize the computer and has gone into 'trip' mode or whatever. We have since order another replacement to see if the correction is made and will update when the swap has been completed.
8/1/21 Part originally swapped
8/4/21 New part ordered
8/15 - 8/20 expected new part swap
Old February 24th, 2022, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

I am having all the same issues being discussed here. I am going in today again to get a sensor "fixed". This is so frustrating. I already had to put a new engine in this car and I am quickly running out of money just to have a running vehicle.
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy doesnt seem to be too concerned with our safety

I have a 2014 equinox that i bought used from Premier Chevy in Buena Park, Ca . It had 67000 miles on it when i bought it. Not 3 months after i bought it i had my first encounter with stabillitrac stallout and have had several since but as soon as i pull over and turn it off it runs fine for a few months and does it again. I have taken it to the dealer but of course they havent a clue as to why its doing it. So last week it happened again but this time it didnt fix itself. I took it to a real mechanic who told me its the computer brain not communicating with the transmission. I still owe on this vehicle and had to purchase another car so now im stuck with 2 car payments. You would think Chevy would get a clue already and issue recalls on 2006-2014 equinox for this issue. Im already speaking with a lawyer regarding this and hopefully we all can get Chevy to do the right thing and ISSUE A RECALL ALREADY!!!!!

Last edited by drea1972; May 13th, 2022 at 1:43 PM.
Old May 13th, 2022, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrac again...imagine that

By using this site, you agree with our use of cookies.More Information

Subscribed
Search this Thread

sskrill , March 19th, 2021 8:28 PM
CF Beginner
2013 Captiva
So it sounds like no one has found the accurate correction for this?

I have a 2013 Captiva that has less than 100k miles on it - yesterday after not using the truck for about 4 days I went to back it out of the garage - when I turned the key it started screeching like crazy. The noise stopped but then I got the Service Stabilitrack and Service Traction Control messages. Unlike others I did not get the loss of power and was able to drive without issue - however I'm afraid I might be heading to that same issue. If the lights are still on tonight I'm going to take it to O'reilly to see if they can give me a scan code.

I would really like to know the accurate repair rather than letting the dealership play a guessing game. If this has been going on since 2012 (per the date of this post) how the hell do they not know the corrective action in 2020 (based on last reply)??

This is now my second car but there's no point in keeping it as a back up if I'm just going to have to pour money in to it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Multi

Depmiller177 , April 25th, 2021 10:38 AM
CF Beginner
2014 Chevy Captiva
I’ve been having these same issues. It happened a month ago. Then went away. Started again. Changed the Cham Shaft Position Sensor. Problem seemed to be good. Lasted a week. I was headed to work. Put my vehicle in cruise control and everything went to hell. Engine light. Reduced engine power light.
Service traction control. Stabilitrak. Reading this thread makes me sad. These seem like serious common issues with no fixes. Has anyone come up with a fix?
2014 Chevy Captive LTZ Sport. 97,000 miles.
Quote Multi

hanky , April 25th, 2021 11:15 AM
CF Senior Member
No fix can be done until the cause of the problem is found..
Drive by wire, ,Electronic Throttle Control" has several components that must ALL work correctly . If for any reason one of them does not, the wrench light and C/E lights will illuminate and reduced power is initiated. This requires someone skilled with a capable scan tool and the knowledge of the system to troubleshoot it and determine the "Root Cause". There is no easy way to do this.
Quote Multi

cegsavvy , May 25th, 2021 6:28 PM
CF Beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmb13equinox
Hello, all!

So I own a 2013 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD. On my way to the store one day, my ABS began to pulsate aggressively, followed by the illumination of my traction control and ABS lights. Along with this, my information center displayed "Service Stabilitrak" and "AWD Off" warnings. After the warnings lit up, the computer bypassed the ABS and AWD, doing away with the pulsation, only to return briefly upon startup while reassessing the code, then returning to the same warnings. I pulled the code to discover a C0035 Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Supply (Subfault). Armed with this new info, I purchased the speed sensor, replaced said sensor, inspected and cleaned the contact on the pigtail harness, but still...same issue. I pulled the code once again to be sure that it was not throwing a new code. Knowing the sensor wasn't the issue, barring a defective part, I returned it and purchased an OEM hub/bearing assembly. I installed this yesterday, also to no avail. Pulled the code again to be sure, and again, the same code. My thinking has brought me to a couple of conclusions as to where the problem can be, and my next logical step would be the pigtail harness that goes from the sensor plug to the EBCM. Does this seem to make sense to you all? Would that be a safe assumption, or would I be better suited spending $109/hr for diagnostic at my local mechanic shop? My only other question is where can I locate the pigtail harness I would need if following my initial plan? Everywhere I look, I'm only able to locate the speed sensor, but not the pigtail. My other hurdle has been an inundation of '05-'09 Equinox threads and parts, but next to nothing for my body style. I anxiously await reply, as my employment greatly requires my AWD capabilities!

I was wondering if you ever figured out the problem? I have a 2010 Equinox with the exact same issue
Quote Multi

calvin hawkins , August 9th, 2021 12:43 AM
CF Beginner
Trying this and hoping.
2014 Equinox 2.4, swapped engines 3-4 months ago. Replaced cats when light came on and was diagnosed to, after that everything went to hell. Stabilitrak light, engine light, tire pressure light, low engine power light, etc.
Replaced every sensor we can possibly find and have come to the solution of replacing the main computer that sits atop the battery. We were informed from our chevy dealer that this part after awhile will just go bad.
Well low and behold, we order a new one and the damn thing doesnt start. Car cant recognize the computer and has gone into 'trip' mode or whatever. We have since order another replacement to see if the correction is made and will update when the swap has been completed.
8/1/21 Part originally swapped
8/4/21 New part ordered
8/15 - 8/20 expected new part swap
Quote Multi

EBruns12 , February 24th, 2022 11:04 AM
CF Beginner
I am having all the same issues being discussed here. I am going in today again to get a sensor "fixed". This is so frustrating. I already had to put a new engine in this car and I am quickly running out of money just to have a running vehicle.

Quote Multi

drea1972 , Today 5:03 PM
CF Beginner
Chevy doesnt seem to be too concerned with our safety
I have a 2014 equinox that i bought used from Premier Chevy in Buena Park, Ca . It had 67000 miles on it when i bought it. Not 3 months after i bought it i had my first encounter with stabillitrac stallout and have had several since but as soon as i pull over and turn it off it runs fine for a few months and does it again. I have taken it to the dealer but of course they havent a clue as to why its doing it. So last week it happened again but this time it didnt fix itself. I took it to a real mechanic who told me its the computer brain not communicating with the transmission. I still owe on this vehicle and had to purchase another car so now im stuck with 2 car payments. You would think Chevy would get a clue already and issue recalls on 2006-2014 equinox for this issue. Im already speaking with a lawyer regarding this and hopefully we all can get Chevy to do the right thing and ISSUE A RECALL ALREADY!!!!!
Old May 25th, 2022, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gemleroy
I have a 2010 Equinox with less than 35k miles. Since August we have been experiencing problems with the Stabilitrak. The engine runs but we lose power. The first time I took it to the dealer they could not figure out what happened. They had it for about a week and returned it hoping they fixed it. It happened again a month later, almost stranding my daughter-in-law on a busy highway. We took it in again and they could not figure out why this continues to happen. They're not able to replicate the issue, they drive it for a few days and all seems to be working. The 3rd time this happened the message came on again to service Stabilitrak, the check engine light came on and the car had almost no power. the engine continues to run but we could not drive more than 25 miles per hr. We luckily made it to the dealer and kept the engine running. They could not read the error code using a portable diagnostic reader so they kept the car and replaced the throttle box. Again, hoping this would be the answer. Yesterday the car began shifting gears really hard and bam...error message and loss of power again. We let the car sit for an hour and started it again. It seemed to have some power but after driving it a few miles it loss power and we coasted off the highway (I10 in Houston I might add which was extremely scary!). Let it sit again for 20 minutes and the car started up again, no Stabilitrak error but the check engine light is on and RPM's were running high. We pulled off the highway to fill up and the care & ran OK, although a very scary few miles on a busy interstate. We are taking it back to the dealer service center again but would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I owned a 2007 Equinox and I loved it prior to purchasing the 2010 used with 23k miles. I don't put that many miles on my car and take very good care of my vehicle. We've always been a Chevy household but I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the problems we've been experiencing and the fact that even the dealership isn't able to fix it. I am crossing my fingers but have little hope they will figure it out. Not sure we will invest in Chevy ever again.
I had similar problem and after many sleepless and expensive weekends discovered if I grounded the power train control module the problem stopped!
Old May 25th, 2022, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default People with stabila track light

Run a ground wire from power train control module to frame! This solved my problem of stabila track and service track control with crazy gauges and no crank no start

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light