Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2022, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ediththrower
To all persons who have experienced these problems, among others, and have received no satisfaction from Chevrolet or General Motors, I would like to suggest that we initiate a class-action suit. The Ecotech engine is allegedly a great big piece of junk; and has one problem after the other. The StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power issue occurs on Chevrolet vehicles with few miles or high miles and Chevrolet appears not to know how to fix the problem and General Motors has not offered a solution to vehicle owners. Offers from Chevrolet to put me into another vehicle come to my email address daily. I don't know about you, but I don't have money to just go out and buy another vehicle; especially in a pandemic. After all of the tax-payer dollars that the Obama, Trump, and Biden administrations have poured into big business over the past 12 years, including the auto industry, one would think the least automakers would do is build Americans a decent vehicle. Not doing so is negligence, and in my humble opinion, a classic example of "fleecing" Americans.
Please lmk if you do ill join in on that lawsuit
The following 3 users liked this post by TexasRoadrunner:
dancieb (February 7th, 2024), mstoffey (April 13th, 2022), Sbhensley (September 20th, 2022)
Old February 2nd, 2022, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericae824
I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox, and it recently started shaking extremely bad, then the notes of Service StabiliTrak and Reduced Power to Engine came up. Now, it takes about 5 minutes to accelerate from 0 to 15. When Im able to catch the green lights it can get up to 40 eventually, but if I have to stop and go a lot, it seems to max out at 18ish mph. How can I fix this and is it an expensive fix?
well my 2015 equinox LT 2.4 L went on 1/16/22 it was 20degrees while driving my car started to jumped as I was stopping at a red light it did it a few more times when I parked it sounded like a tow truck. It sat for an hour I restarted it the sound was even worse and the RPM shot all the way up check engine light i looked at the spot I was parked in and there was oil I checked the oil under the engine which there was I stopped at autozone and bought 4 qt and drove home I was about 15 miles away in NJ. I parked it and it sat over night I turned it back on it made a horrible noise then reduced engine power came up I shut it off waited a minute and it wouldn’t turn on. So took it to a shop Chevy had no appointment for 2 weeks. PVC was frozen caused rear main seal to leak. Replaced PVC and rear Main seal along with timing chain. The engine timing is still off they looked more at the engine and it is dead and needs to be replaced. Of course no warranty it expired 6/2021 when I bring it to Chevy dealer I will have to pay to have it diagnosed $199 and if I decide to have them fix it The dealer can work with Chevy itself to see if they can reimburse me for the work done. So I will have to pay for the repairs before they are able to tell me if they can do anything for me with replacing my engine. Which I was also told they have to look into how well the car was maintenance. I pay $500 a month 40 payments 32 left, there are bulletins for the issues of the PVC freezing in extreme weather and high oil consumption but of course for these cars 2010-2014 and if I took it there for the oil changes which I would never it is a rip off those problems are not checked so they would not have seen it to fix it. Please be careful people need to get together and do something because this causes the death of a car paying thousands of dollars to buy.
Old September 20th, 2022, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have written to the Gibbs Law Group 800.254.9493 and would advise that you do the same. They have been successful in GM class-action lawsuits in the past. Thank you.

Edith T
If we call this number, is there anything in particular we need to tell them?
Old September 20th, 2022, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasRoadrunner
Please lmk if you do ill join in on that lawsuit
I would jump on this as well, I have a 2013 equinox, and it's been nothing but problems.
The following users liked this post:
ra6907 (October 11th, 2023)
Old October 11th, 2023, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Equinox

I have a 2010 Equinox. It will run just fine and then you go out to start it and “stabillitrac/reduced engine power. It won’t work for a while and then it starts working again. Always cramping out when you most need it. Here we are with the same problem on the same make and model 13 years later.

Originally Posted by ericae824
I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox, and it recently started shaking extremely bad, then the notes of Service StabiliTrak and Reduced Power to Engine came up. Now, it takes about 5 minutes to accelerate from 0 to 15. When Im able to catch the green lights it can get up to 40 eventually, but if I have to stop and go a lot, it seems to max out at 18ish mph. How can I fix this and is it an expensive fix?
Old December 5th, 2023, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

To all persons who have experienced these problems, among others, and have received no satisfaction from Chevrolet or General Motors, I would like to suggest that we initiate a class-action suit. The Ecotech engine is allegedly a great big piece of junk; and has one problem after the other. The StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power issue occurs on Chevrolet vehicles with few miles or high miles and Chevrolet appears not to know how to fix the problem and General Motors has not offered a solution to vehicle owners. Offers from Chevrolet to put me into another vehicle come to my email address daily. I don't know about you, but I don't have money to just go out and buy another vehicle; especially in a pandemic. After all of the tax-payer dollars that the Obama, Trump, and Biden administrations have poured into big business over the past 12 years, including the auto industry, one would think the least automakers would do is build Americans a decent vehicle. Not doing so is negligence, and in my humble opinion, a classic example of "fleecing" Americans.
How do I get in on that lawsuit?

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; December 5th, 2023 at 3:31 PM.
Old December 5th, 2023, 3:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

The class action was settled in 2019
details here:
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...leroLaw%29.pdf
Old January 9th, 2024, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2016 chevy equinox

I bought this pos used just 111000 miles. well, the other day it cut completely off when driving now get a service stabilitrack, service power steering message and wont start after putting a new fuel pump in it. what is wrong with this.
Old March 14th, 2024, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

If you want to try to fix it yourself and reduce the costs of taking it to a mechanic, try the process below:
  • First, diagnose your Chevy Equinox with an appropriate OBDII scanner. That way, you can pinpoint the exact area to work on your vehicle. The diagnosis usually comes in the form of a code. You will need to check your SUV manual to find the definition of the code.
  • Since the problem is most likely to be a throttle body issue, you should clean or replace it. After replacing the throttle, ensure you carry out an idle relearn procedure to solve the issues completely.
  • Sometimes, the SUV issue is beyond DIY. You may have to call your mechanic to perform the repairs. That will help solve the problem faster and prevent further complications.