Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Engine power reduction, service stabilitrak and traction control

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Engine power reduction, service stabilitrak and traction control

Hello,
I have a 2011 Cruze LTZ. Bought brand new 5 years ago. In the past 3 months I have had the same problems as many others in this forum. Reduced engine power with service stabilitrak and service traction control messages coming on. Engine light stays orange until shut off for a while. At first it only happened once and then it was fine. Lately it has been happening more and more. I almost caused a huge accident on a busy road last time my engine power was cut. It was very scary. I was able to get it to the dealership. They ran a diagnostic and said that I needed to replace the throttle body as there was heavy Carbon build up. They also said I needed to have a fuel/air induction service done. ~$600
After reading the many threads on here I have a problem with going ahead and doing this. It seems that nobody has had success with this being done. Of course my warranty is up (1 month ago) and they said nothing was covered. I asked them to check the special codes and they said that they do not apply in this case. It seems they are not willing to work with me unless I do what they said needs to be done. I refuse to sink this money into the car with an uncertain outcome. This is very dangerous and I don't want to have me or my family hurt if this keeps occurring. Wondering if chevy customer care could please help me proceed with the dealer as they are being difficult.
The following users liked this post:
Mary Lee Smith (November 11th, 2020)
Old February 24th, 2016, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 impala

Today Feb.24th, 2016 I started car to go to work and it worked good
I go to lunch and try and start my car.. it only was is sing and then all three messages popped up. ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED, SERVICE STABILITRAK, and Service Traction Control..
The car would not start, I just had to get it towed to tires plus. I do not have a warranty on the car, I see there are a lot of problems with this , why hasn't their been a recall.. there are a lot of people paying money for this situation and yet no one seems to have a set cure.. I don't not have a lot of money to throw around but want the car I paid for to run right. The car only has 56000 miles on it... I am so frustrated right now and want and need answers.
CHEVY service what's up????
The following users liked this post:
sammii9684 (April 12th, 2021)
Old February 27th, 2016, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM

Will do absolutely nothing to help either of you. I had the same situation at 57,000 miles on my Cruze and they did not offer any help. I believe they know that the throttle body will completely fail after the 50,000 mile mark and conveniently this is right after most warranties expire. If you are having transmission issues such as hard shifting and lag while accelerating while under warranty they will not even check the throttle body as there is no code on their scanners for it. Do not hold your breath waiting for a recall as GM is cashing in on this problem. Look at all the people on these forums with the same problem then think about all of the others that do not even post here
Old February 28th, 2016, 8:50 AM
CF Veteran

yet if you read and comprehend everything there is not 1 set single problem, how do you recall something that is a failsafe system and set by literally 100s maybe 1000s of different possibilities? the well known issues do have special coverages in most cases
Old March 4th, 2016, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cruze Transmission, Stabili Track & Traction Control

My transmission just started slipping on 2012 Cruze LT. Service Traction Control & Service Stabili Track lights came on several days before the transmission started acting up. In manual shift it does 'ok' - not the greatest, but better than in automatic. I have 62,100 miles on the car, I purchased it used in 2014 - there is a limited 100,000 mile warranty from GM - I'm praying this is covered. I'm not made of money, this type of repair would break me! My car has always had a ticking to it. Even with changing the oil - it has always ticked! I feel like this is a lost cause!
Old March 4th, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default My advice for Cruze owners

1. Avoid highways, use back roads and side streets when driving so that when the engine goes into reduced power you are kind of safe. Ironically this is considered a safety feature.

2. Always park where tow truck has easy access.

3. Have throttle body checked while under warranty if your car is hesitating or jerking while accelerating.They appear To completely fail as soon as warranty expires.

4. Expect to pay $400-$500 out of pocket to correct problem.

5. The car actually runs a lot better after throttle body is replaced
Old March 11th, 2016, 6:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Cruze Bluz

I have a 2014 Cruze the Service Traction Control & Service Stabili Track lights cones in constantly. I bought my car brand new I now have 57,899 miles on it. It was doing fine until a few weeks ago. I was driving 60mph when a message popped up saying the "AC had been shut off due to high engine heat"The check engine came on I took it to a Chevy dealer for repair they told me I needed to change the air filter. I did and when I picked up my car drove 7 miles back to work it started shaking. When I got off from work, I started my car and it began to shake and rattle. The check engine light popped back on. This was a Friday evening and I was going on vacation for an entire week so I left my car parked and returned a week later to discover it's running worse than before dropping it off. My car is basically still new why is this happening? It's crappy!!! Not happy!!!! After reading other post I am doubtful this will be fixed. Really afraid to drive my car now. I will never buy another Chevy 😒
Old March 11th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jen22
I have a 2014 Cruze the Service Traction Control & Service Stabili Track lights cones in constantly. I bought my car brand new I now have 57,899 miles on it. It was doing fine until a few weeks ago. I was driving 60mph when a message popped up saying the "AC had been shut off due to high engine heat"The check engine came on I took it to a Chevy dealer for repair they told me I needed to change the air filter. I did and when I picked up my car drove 7 miles back to work it started shaking. When I got off from work, I started my car and it began to shake and rattle. The check engine light popped back on. This was a Friday evening and I was going on vacation for an entire week so I left my car parked and returned a week later to discover it's running worse than before dropping it off. My car is basically still new why is this happening? It's crappy!!! Not happy!!!! After reading other post I am doubtful this will be fixed. Really afraid to drive my car now. I will never buy another Chevy 😒
It sounds like you’ve had a tough time with your Cruze, Jen22. I certainly recognize how upsetting this is as you don’t expect to run into issues when purchasing a newer model vehicle. We’d like to contact your preferred dealership and review this in greater detail from our end. To get started, please send us a private message and include your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership. I appreciate your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 17th, 2016, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Car shut off in traffic this morning.

Engine shuts off constantly and idles out of control when I'm in park.
My car killed on the Interstate in traffic this morning. Please help me, when I bought my car there 20 (twenty) miles on it. It's still new, I should not have to pay to have this issue taken care of.

QUOTE=Chevrolet Customer

Service;318145]It sounds like you’ve had a tough time with your Cruze, Jen22. I certainly recognize how upsetting this is as you don’t expect to run into issues when purchasing a newer model vehicle. We’d like to contact your preferred dealership and review this in greater detail from our end. To get started, please send us a private message and include your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership. I appreciate your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care[/QUOTE]
Old March 17th, 2016, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jen22
engine shuts off constantly and idles out of control when i'm in park.
My car killed on the interstate in traffic this morning. Please help me, when i bought my car there 20 (twenty) miles on it. It's still new, i should not have to pay to have this issue taken care of.

My vin# 1G1PA5SH6E7472173
my car killed on the interstate in traffic this morning. Please help me, when i bought my car there 20 (twenty) miles on it. It's still new, i should not have to pay to have this issue taken care of.

Quote=chevrolet customer

service;318145]it sounds like you’ve had a tough time with your cruze, jen22. I certainly recognize how upsetting this is as you don’t expect to run into issues when purchasing a newer model vehicle. We’d like to contact your preferred dealership and review this in greater detail from our end. To get started, please send us a private message and include your vin, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership. I appreciate your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

jasmine
chevrolet customer care
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Engine power reduction, service stabilitrak and traction control