Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2016, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox that also is experiencing this "Service Stability Track" problem I'll be driving along and all of a sudden the check engine light will come on, i'll lose engine power and the Stability light will come on. I took it to the chevy dealership and since they could not duplicate the problem they said there was nothing they could fix. Thankfully they didn't charge me but with 8 pages of this problem Chevy has to have a fix for this problem. No one seems to have posted a sure fire cure...
Old December 17th, 2016, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Not Just Equinox for Sure

My 2010 Silverado took a dump on me driving down the road the other day, Stabilitrak warning, reduced engine power(slow mode), and eventually SES light. I have not made it to get the codes read yet but I suspect its related to the EGR issue many are experiencing here. Although I also suspect it could be a faulty wheel sensor as I did recently service the brakes. I'll post an update as I delve into it.
Old December 21st, 2016, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default My 2 cents

2008 Equinox with about 120,000kms. A few months ago, the Stabiltrak warning issue started WITH service engine light. The code was for the EGR valve. Replaced, and all was good for months. Put the winter tires on with NO tire sensors. Was expecting the tire monitor sensor to come on, but the Stabilitrak warning (in the display) came on and off, instead for about 1 1/2 weeks. Then, boom, one day the tire sensor warning came on with the service engine light and the Stabilitrak warning in the display all at once. Went to the shop, the service engine was a legitimate code for a sticky EGR valve. Cleaned, and all good with no engine warning light or Stabilitrak. That lasted one day and the Stabilitrak display light came on again. No issues with performance like power loss. I was told maybe a wheel speed sensor OR a steering position sensor, but this would be a guess and money to find out. I would actually go this route if this was truly the issue.

Interesting to note, that even though the Stabilitrak display warning states that the Stabilitrak is OFF, it is actually ON. On the snowy weekend, with the Stabilitrak display warning on, we slide a bit while driving, the Stabilitrak warning light flickered as if in use, and then the Stabilitrak display warning disappear for a while.

So I have come to the conclusion that it is either a wheel speed sensor or steering position sensor OR the Nox doesn't like wearing snow tires this year.

My 2 cents - we really need a fix on this.
Old December 24th, 2016, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Well that didn't work

Well, all the usual warning and indicator lights came on. That lasted one day. Off to the dealership to let them have their shot at it. I will let everyone know what happened. Probably another big $ bill around x-mas, oh great. Everyone have a happy and safe one - keep the Nox between the ditches.
Old December 25th, 2016, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Merry x-mas

Just an update. X-mas day, loaded up the Nox with kids, food and present set for a 45 minute trip to grandpas house. What? The stabilitrak warnings and the check engine light gone. Merry x-mas what a good present. OOPPPS.. Now no power, can't even get up the hill on our street. Thanks GM, merry x-mas.
Old December 27th, 2016, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default The plot thicks

just like the puddle on my driveway. Taking the 2008 Equinox for a drive to determine why lose of power. Well, no warning lights, but it was over revving to get up a hill, then it drove fine. Put the old white plate under the engine because it looked like it was leaking something - could be just water too. However no, transmission fluid. Great, more money, but I am wondering if the stabilitrak issue, check engine and the transmission are all related. We will find out tomorrow.
Old December 28th, 2016, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Maybe the solution

Well, the news is in. It looks like the new EGR valve (not done at the dealership) is sticking, and there are holes in the EGR pipe - that is probably the cause. The puddle of transmission fluid is unrelated. The full cost of repair for both is $1500. Merry xmas from GM.
Old December 28th, 2016, 8:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by trafficdad
Well, the news is in. It looks like the new EGR valve (not done at the dealership) is sticking, and there are holes in the EGR pipe - that is probably the cause. The puddle of transmission fluid is unrelated. The full cost of repair for both is $1500. Merry xmas from GM.
Where was the transmission leaking? Was it the cooler lines that go to the radiator?
Old December 29th, 2016, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Hey there, our equinox 2010 did the same thing. We took it in and the guy knew right away. Our key had died. We ordered two more and has been fine.
Old December 29th, 2016, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stability track light and engine light-just had high pressure fuel pump replaced

Originally Posted by trafficdad
Hi there, was the tranny leak related? Was that included in the $1500?
Thanks Jaime

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...