Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

T-IV ATF question

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2013, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T-IV ATF question

My 09 Equinox requires T-IV ATF fluid. I can purchase the stuff for > $20 per quart at my unfriendly Chevrolet dealer or $6.34 per quart at the local Toyota dealer. From what I have read this fluid was developed by Toyota so I see no need to purchase official Chevy stuff.... Anyone got a different opinion?
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are the same fluid. Valvoline also make a compatible fluid which is sold at major chain stores, not sure of the price though

Last edited by MDTAHOE; September 5th, 2013 at 6:25 PM.
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I've been running the Toyota T-IV for over 30K miles with no problems. It is the same stuff GM sells, just in a different bottle. I would be reluctant to use any other fluid unless it says it meets specification JWS 3309 on the bottle.

Last edited by ruley73; September 4th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old September 5th, 2013, 6:26 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by ruley73
I've been running the Toyota T-IV for over 30K miles with no problems. It is the same stuff GM sells, just in a different bottle. I would be reluctant to use any other fluid unless it says it meets specification JWS 3309 on the bottle.
There are plenty of aftermarket ATF that meet the spec. The Vavoline specifically states Toyota T-IV
Old September 6th, 2013, 9:42 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
There are plenty of aftermarket ATF that meet the spec. The Vavoline specifically states Toyota T-IV
Ah, but there are not plenty of aftermarket ATFs that meet only this specification. If it meets this, that, and the other specification then the formula is compromised to be good enough meet all of those specifications. In other words, it is a Jack of all trades, but a master of none.

The Chevrolet factory service manual specifically says "Dexron®III automatic transmission fluid is not compatible with this transaxle. If Dexron®III ATF is used, transaxle failure will result." An excerpt can be viewed here. Per a TSB, GM now specifies Dexron-VI for all automatic (but not manual) transmissions that previously used Dexron-III so that means the same advice applies to Dexron-VI.

The fluids that Valvoline make supposedly meet the specifications for both Dexron III and Toyota T-IV (among others) Now ask yourself, exactly how safe is it to use for any application that recommends one or the other? Sorry, but when the factory service manual says that using one of these specific fluids will cause transmission failure, it is not worth the risk.

The only aftermarket fluid I would use is Mobil ATF 3309 which is made specifically and exclusively for use in applications where Toyota T-IV or equivalent is specified. I highly doubt that you will find this on the shelf at any auto parts store. I'm confident that some places could order it, but it probably costs at least as much as T-IV does from a Toyota dealership.

In this day and age you really need to be careful when it comes to fluids. The fluid in the bottle may be harmful even though the label seems to imply that it will work fine. For example, earlier I said "GM now specifies Dexron-VI for all automatic (but not manual) transmissions that previously used Dexron-III", but yet the webpage for Valvoline Dexron-VI says it "is fully backward serviceable, and can be used wherever DEXRON®-II and/or DEXRON®-III are recommended." The average Joe is going to read that and think to himself "well, the owners manual for my Saturn says to use Dexron-III in my manual transmission, so this should work fine", but it will make his Saturn shift very rough because Dexron VI has a different viscosity than Dexron-III

Last edited by ruley73; September 6th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Good4JG (July 10th, 2021)
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

All I am stating is there are other options that will likely not cause an issue.

At work we use BG products. They make a universal synthetic that works for ALMOST all trans fluids. We have never had a single issue. BG stands behind there product. It most cases it exceeds the manufactures specs. You will find BG products in many dealerships.

BG Products, Inc.

http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20C hart$5B1$5D.pdf

Old December 15th, 2019, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sysman990
My 09 Equinox requires T-IV ATF fluid. I can purchase the stuff for > $20 per quart at my unfriendly Chevrolet dealer or $6.34 per quart at the local Toyota dealer. From what I have read this fluid was developed by Toyota so I see no need to purchase official Chevy stuff.... Anyone got a different opinion?
Valvoline max life full synthetic Walmart $17. Plus tax
for a gallon