Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1990 Chevy G20 Clunk

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2014, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Chevy G20 Clunk

Hello,

I recently changed the transmission fluid and filter on my G20. Since then I have a clunk noise coming from whats sounds like the middle of the van. It only happens when I'm at low speeds and I start to accelerate or stop. Basically, the jerking moments when starting and stopping at stop signs and such. Once it gets going there's no noise at all. When I changed the fluid I removed the cross bar(?) that goes under the transmission in order to get the pan off. Then reinstalled it by jacking it up into place. I couldn't get it up by hand. It was too heavy with the transmission and other weight. Anyway, the transmission shifts fine and the van seems to ride fine, but the noise is really annoying. Obviously, something isn't right. Any ideas? I hope I didn't screw anything up when changing the fluid.

Thanks,

Dan
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Dan,

Check your U-joints? The noise and location sounds like an issue with the U-joints to me... At start and stop, the joint will clunk as the driveshaft comes under load, but once under load, no other noise would be expected.

Also, a certain amount of "clunk" is to be expected with the long driveshafts of these vans. Still, you can check the U-joints for wear and replace as necessary.

Hopefully you didn't alter the drive line alignment in any discernible way when you removed the cross member and later jacked it back into place.
Old May 19th, 2014, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Ty. I'll check the u joints. The cross member or transmission support is in a fixed spot. I was pretty careful getting it back on without damaging anything. I wonder if I caused a misalignment when I took it off and it dropped a little. I didn't anticipate the drop/sag it made. It looks normal underneath. Maybe I aggravated it a little when I did the transmission fluid change, and messed up the u joint alignment just enough that I hear the clunking.