Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1995 G20 conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2016, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 G20 conversion questions

Hey all, I just bought a 95 GMC vandura 2500 with the explorer conversion package. Has the 350, runs great and has been very reliable so far. Has 170k on the odo, It needs a bit of minor work, but nothing I can't handle. I'm not new to wrenching but I'm new to older vans. So far I have rebuilt the front calipers (brakes were real sluggish) and done the basic fluid changes that you would do to any used car. I plan on using the van as a long term RV, and want to add a big deep cycle battery on an isolator to power the rear lights and other appliances I'll be adding.

Anyway, I have a few basic questions. Any link out there for factory service manuals? Also, I am looking for a wiring diagram for the conversion add ons. I tried emailing Explorer (luckily they are still around) but havent had much luck with finding anything yet (not even a user manual). I am hoping someone on here knows about these and can send me in the right direction for the interior modifications I want to do. Another note, occasionally the Service light will come on (only on longer drives). It's giving me code 32, MAP sensor signal open. I'm guessing the rear-engine-cover-thing (don't know the technical term) has to come off to get to the MAP? I assume it's just on the intake somewhere? The van runs great but want to get that sorted as I am not sure if it can do any damage long term.

I appreciate any info or advice on these vans as I am hoping to keep it running as long as possible. Thanks guys!!
Old December 8th, 2016, 8:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Default manuals

I bought my '97 new and it didn't come with any info about the conversion and the company who built it is no longer in business.
There wouldn't be a lot in a manual any way.
My conversion is for comfortable travel. Two reclining captain seats in the middle, a rear seat that unfolds to a bed, TV and VCR that no longer work with built in antenna and remote, additional radio/cassette player for the rear, headsets and cup holders for all rear seats, separate fan control for rear seat air conditioner, reading lights, mood lights, indirect lights.
Old December 10th, 2016, 8:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A great resource for conversion vans is a site IMHO every van owner should visit www.vanning.com. The info should be easy to find on your own or a member will point you in the right direction, lots of custom vans on the site hope you find what your looking for.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited by solwav; December 11th, 2016 at 8:13 AM.
Old December 10th, 2016, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the info guys, i'll be heading over to vanning.com to see what I can dig up there