Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 Express 3500 (Class B Motorhome) Sounds like a PS whine but....

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2017, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Express 3500 (Class B Motorhome) Sounds like a PS whine but....

But I am not quite sure it is. 52k miles. Appears to have been kept up quite well.

There is what sounds like a power steering whine that is fairly constant and fluctuates in pitch (not volume) with engine speed. It does not vary with ambient or vehicle temperature. It DOES NOT get louder or softer when I turn the wheel or apply the brakes.

I tried using a mechanic's stethoscope on the PS pump and just for grins on the alternator. I can't really hear the same sound from either. I don't think it's the pump, but I don't know what else it could be.

PS fluid is full. Has a very slight, pale red color to it, does not smell burnt or foul. It shows clean on a white cloth.

Maybe this will shed some light on it.
The steering seems to work OK. But if I HAD to say SOMETHING about the steering, I would say its just a tad stiff, but it could also be that I am not used to G-Van steering.

Additionally, I know this van has HydroBoost brakes. They work fine (I've had better, and the vehicle IS a 9500 GVWR vehicle) but again, I am not familiar with the G-Van brakes and if I had to say SOMETHING about the brakes, it would be that they work OK. They stop the car, but I wish they were a bit more responsive. Also, the pedal does not appear to return like my other cars (non-GM) do. It does come back but it just feels like it should be quicker. I'm not talking about a second or two, I am saying much less than a second, but it just doesn't feel fast enough comparing it to other vehicles.

Maybe it is what it is, and I am just not used to GM....

Any thoughts. comments or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks