Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 Express 3500 (Class B Motorhome) Sounds like a PS whine but....

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2017, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Express 3500 (Class B Motorhome) Sounds like a PS whine but....

But I am not quite sure it is. 52k miles. Appears to have been kept up quite well.

There is what sounds like a power steering whine that is fairly constant and fluctuates in pitch (not volume) with engine speed. It does not vary with ambient or vehicle temperature.

It DOES NOT get louder or softer when I turn the wheel or apply the brakes.

I tried using a mechanic's stethoscope on the PS pump and just for grins on the alternator. I can't really hear the same sound from either. I don't think it's the pump, but I don't know what else it could be.

PS fluid is full. Has a very slight, pale red color to it, does not smell burnt or foul. It shows clean on a white cloth.

Maybe this will shed some light on it.
The steering seems to work OK. But if I HAD to say SOMETHING about the steering, I would say its just a tad stiff, but it could also be that I am not used to G-Van steering.

Additionally, I know this van has a HydroBoost brake system. They work fine (I've had better, though the vehicle IS a 9500 GVWR vehicle) but again, I am not familiar with the G-Van brakes and if I had to say SOMETHING about the brakes, it would be that they work ok. They stop the car, but I wish they were a bit more responsive. Also, the pedal does not appear to return like my other cars (non-GM) do. It does come back but it just feels like it should be quicker. I'm not talking about a second or two, much less than a second, but it just doesn't feel fast enough comparing it to other vehicles.

I was thinking about starting with a PS fluid change.

Any thoughts. comments or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What type of brake pads are you using? Cheap organic pads will not perform as well under load like quality semi metallic ones will. Ceramic is a good choice as well. That plus have you made sure you calipers are in good shape, and all the contact surfaces are lubed with brake grease.....? Also your rear brake drum springs etc. the brake shoes can wear a lip into the backing plate and the brakes can stick on it a little bit. All just thoughts on the pedal return.
As for the whine, have you ruled out everything else? The 2 belt tensioner pulleys...?
I also had a 2002, and my wierd noise was a random pulsing growl from the alternator. It was annoying, but otherwise worked fine.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Canucklehead, Thanks fir the reply.. Not sure on the pads. I just got the vehicle. I did have the wheels off this week and took pictures of the hubs. I don't know what pads are on it but they have plenty of meat. They look like they're fairly new. As do the rotors. I did not take the drums off. The brakes work fine, no pulling, pulsing, grabbing. It;s just the strange feel of the pedal. Next pad change I'll switch to a semi metallic or ceramic. Same with the drums. Next time I have reason to get into the rears I'll check them. Right now, "OK" is good enough for me.

As for the whine/grind, I suppose it COULD be one or both of the tensioners, I've heard bad tensioners before, and it doesn't sound like it's that. Not sure how I'm gonna diagnose it. If I take the belt off, (obviously) nothing turns.... I am hoping I run into someone who says "Oh yeah, I had that noise and it turned out to be the XYZ"...Or maybe just bring it in to my local mechanic... It's got a little steering play/wander. Jacked up, there is excessive lateral (3 & 6 o'clock) play in both fronts.. There is no play at (12 & 6). It is NOT bearings. I THINK it's in the steering box. If I determine it's in the box, if it's slight, I may try and adjust it out via lock nut and allen. I really have to get under it again with a helper and go over it more thoroughly.

Thanks again.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Canucklehead, Tnx for the reply. I replied yesterday but it is not showing. Anyway here it is again.

I am not sure of the brake pads. I had the wheels off last week and they look new. Lots of meat on them. I didn't pull the drums. I do think this van was very well maintained. The next time I have reason to change the pads/shoes I'll replace with high quality ones.

I am familiar with SOME tensioner pulley whine, but I don't think that 's it. The only way to tell is to remove the belt, but then nothing turns. I suppose that would tell me if it's an engine noise. I noticed yesterday that it is more of a grind than a whine. Also, I think it MAY be temperature related. When I start the van from cold (of course I get the big "Whoosh" from the fan for a few minutes), but then when the fan slows down, I don't hear the "grind" noise. If I drive a bit and get it warmer, the noise is much more pronounced. I tried to get an audio recording of it, but it just doesn't come out well enough to hear. The best I can say is that I am very familiar with PS pump whine, and that is exactly what this sounds like. But this doesn't (on the surface) appear to be related.

Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2017, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Update:

After trying to Dx this noise any further, my mechanic and I determined it is a bad bearing on the alternator.