Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling
Print Wikipost

2009 Express Van Trailer Controller Install

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2010, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Express Van Trailer Controller Install

I am installing a trailer brake controller in a 2009 Express van. I’ve located the brake light switch wire, hot lead and ground. The van has a factory installed hitch.
<O</O
Questions:
Is there a wire under the dash leading to the electric brake pin on the trailer plug? Where does the factory trailer connector terminate? Under the dash?

Thanks.

Last edited by Chas.; July 1st, 2010 at 1:48 PM. Reason: enhance
Old September 17th, 2010, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

This is my first post. I look forward to learning a lot about our new Express Van.

I have this same problem as the OP. There are both a 7-pin and a 4-pin trailer plug at the trailer hitch. Both look to be factory plugs.

I don't see any wire bundle under the dash for a brake controller. In the fuse box, there are no fuses in the trailer slots. Some of the trailer slots in the fuse box, look like they don't have metal tabs for a fuse to make contact.

Does anyone know how to set these vans up for towing with trailer-brakes?

Last edited by Photog3; September 17th, 2010 at 5:31 PM.
Old September 18th, 2010, 1:22 AM
CF Beginner

Factory trailer harness should terminate underhood, at the fusebox. The electric brake wire should be a blunt-cut, dark blue wire coming out from under the fusebox. You'll need to run this to your controller (in-cab), through a hole in the firewall. This is the signal that energizes your trailer brakes.

You probably already noticed, but the stop-lamp switch on the pedal is a normally closed switch (12v = brakes off; 0v = brakes on; purple wire, pin D). You can invert this signal with a relay, or simply grab the torque converter clutch signal, which should be a normally open switch that delivers a compatible signal to your brake controller. On the 2009, this should be a blue/white wire, pin A on the stop-lamp switch.

BTW, the best place to pull power for the controller seems to be the in-cab fusebox, under the driver's seat. There is a power post to grab +12v, and room to put in an inline circuit breaker near the fusebox.

I recentlly replied to another post that outlines the basic components needed to setup an Express for trailering without the factory option.

-Bruce
Old September 20th, 2010, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Bruce,
I will look for the terminated wires at the fuse box. Are there any key words to use, for a search of the other trailer wiring thread? I have searched, and only found this thread, started in April of 2010.

Edit:I found it. https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...hlight=trailer

Last edited by Photog3; September 20th, 2010 at 1:18 PM.