Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2014 Starting Troubles 6.0L Gas

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2018, 8:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New MAF and clean the backside of your throttle plate/throttle body...I bet it's coked up..
disconnecting the MAF is what caused the stabilitrak and other codes...don't sweat those..
Old October 8th, 2018, 11:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
Any device like this can cause that Stabilitrak warning.
Hi, I haven't heard of any OBTII device's setting codes. Is this a widespread issue? I have had my scanner plugged in 24/7 for several months without a problem.
Old October 8th, 2018, 4:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course, I can't find it now, but there was a GM bulletin about OBD2 dongles causing erroneous codes on SOME cars. Either these cheap OBD Bluetooth readers, or those insurance company "big brother" devices can cause these codes. I kept having the Stabilitrak warning when my older reader was running, but I got a newer one and it is fine. What freaked me out was I had not used my dongle for a couple months, and got that Stabilitrak code, that was a real code, which lead to a bad sensor on the steering column.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 7:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I freaking hate everyone!

I have been off work for fifteen months. I wanted to avoid any problems further damaging my reputation while I jump back into work and access health, the condition of my tools, the ability for me to do jobs. A friend sees my problems on Facebook, offers a small job. This guy is not trained properly, knows it all and mouth is bigger than his brain. I am very aware that working with him is risky, but I need on my feet. I need to get the gears turning, it's a little job and I so broke I need to borrow gas money, insurance money, everything which was complicated and torturous as it is. What does my 'friend' do? He decides he'll do that little job himself while he stalls me and throws me on a bigger job with problems I do not want. I spend a three day weekend going there, but unable to work because of poor scheduling with another trade. I go the next few days during the week until the job sits while it dries, meanwhile a small job pops up elsewhere, I take that and fill the down time knowing I only want to commit to one small job at a time as I fix other problems. Not being used to working, I was sore Saturday, tired, I slept poorly and schedule wise things looked to be in shape. I'll go in Monday, I think the schedule will work out and it's for the best. I go do the other job which is exactly what I wanted so I could be alone, access my overall health and find a groove, get the pride up and running... boom, my idiot is texting all day big emergency.. it's Sunday, I am not spoken to like that and I am busy. This idiot thinks he owns me and he thinks who looks after all his problems so he can come and go as he pleases. Doesn't work that way, told him to save his bull****, pulled the pin and without actually stating it, he knew I pulled the pin on him. He's an idiot that works too cheap and tries to make it up by overworking which just leads to being impossible to keep all his promises.

Not having the energy to handle him properly, I lose the high road. I eventually slipped into a texting war with him. He has to win, he has to be right, but he's an idiot who is not half as good as he claims he is. I need the money, but I do not have the energy nor the capacity to outwit him. So now I am driving this truck that does not start very well, but I learned how to make and manage it. The texts ruin my enjoyment of job number two, my attention and quality suffers a little. I am disappointed and miserable at this because I have a million problems that I did not ask for. I have been through complete hell over the last few years, last year especially. I do not need any stresses, in fact they make me sick. I need success and pride. Finish job two, get paid right away, they are happy. I am still in a text war.. this little puke. Well, he is not little, but the character is. I have never been outright ripped off in 25+ years for wages. I can sense it coming and I am not handling it right. Boom, job number three comes. It's another friend, we pick up where we left off. This gives me immediate peace and higher income as I charged my other friend below par just to turn the wheels.

The text war goes all week, making me miserable as all I wanted was one small job. Turn it over in three, four, five days and retreat home to make the next appropriate step in fixing my life happen. Anyways, I leave that job, finally get a weekend, except the text war is still on. I finally get buddy to pay me through the internet, so we do not have to drive across and meet, waste time, gas, play games. He genuinely tried to pay me after more bull**** than I have ever been through collecting money earned. His bank was down, the transaction wouldn't go through because 'maintenance'. That and the fact he entered my old phone number and was too inept to use internet banking. At this point, I just want him to get out of my life. Keep the money. Which doesn't work, because in my situation that only makes me feel more sick. The truck needs that part. I have ton of things to get moving forward and it is constant tiny issues holding me up at every turn.

Land more work over the weekend and I am glad to finally be able to relax. I decide that I will look at the truck today. Maybe I will just wash that MAF Sensor. Maybe I'll just try cleaning and save the money. I somewhat happy, I have everything all planned out in manners that I am happy, content and at ease with. I am just going to start dealing with the MAF Sensor and my Seat Adjuster which is broken and the phone rings. It's a friend about work. His guy never showed up, he's behind and I already know this because I could see it last week and I was in there this morning just to be nice, but I took off as I had things to do. His problems cannot be my problems. Yet, I know if I wasn't dragged down with all the crap of the texts, the MAF, I might have been aggressive enough last week to take the job and make sure this doesn't happen. I want to help my friend so I run out to his job just so the Superintendent can see someone there. I was to finish a few things, but starting that, buddy who didn't show up, didn't even have them up to snuff so they could be finished. I don't want to grab my tools.. so I grab his.. I thought mine were in need some TLC. His are absolutely shot and I realise... as always it's all my fault! I have to own all the problems where ever I go or they just pile up. Even if they really are not my problems.

Now I am miserable because I am realising that my little plans to start fixing my life are all derailed again. I am going home. I stayed for a few hours and left with the Superintendent who's a great guy. Now the truck is acting all weird. No power, it feels like I am driving with the brakes on, it doesn't want to run. I am starting to think.. that I had a fun attempt to get on my feet... but, maybe the truck is screwed. The oil pressure gauge keeps falling lower than I remember. Shifting into Manual Shift doesn't even work. I am just hopping I am going to get home. Screw it, lets go buy the MAF Sensor. It's not in stock, but it'll be in first in the morning which does not fit with plans. $183. Now, I knew it would cost that much, but now I am getting a bit upset because cleaning after losing $700 made more sense. Given time, I could probably find on one Ebay for half the price. In the least, I could find a friend to order the part cheaper. Nope, no time. Buy it anyways. I haven't paid for it, but it'll be there tomorrow with a new Air Filter.

I start the truck, suddenly it has power again. It's still not running right, but at least it's not doing an extra 1000 RPM to get moving. At least it seemed like it was, especially when I looked at the tachometer. I unplugged that stupid OBDII Reader which I plugged in earlier after the wanting to see the codes again. I hope that was the source of all the issues today. New MAF Sensor and cross my fingers it'll run as normal again. I do not like BS and I have a lot of BS I cannot deal with right now. Thanks for the posts. I'll reply in here again to let you all know how it went.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 9:42 PM
CF Veteran

I Hope it turns out ok. I was a contractor for over 10 years ,and I can sympathize.

Fingers crossed the new part does the trick. One bad sensor like the MAF ca cause all kinds of gremlins. Thanks to the all connected computers that vehicles are now.....
Old October 23rd, 2018, 12:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Thanks!

I do not think it is the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I just took it all apart (at night). The truck has 45,000 Km's on it. What's that, 30,000 Miles? It all looks new and clean. I bought a can of Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and doused it with spray repetitively. It's clean. I cannot really say it's any cleaner than when I pulled it out. The Air Filter should be changed, even though the guy at the local quick lube thought it was fine. Other than that I am thinking maybe it's computer problem? The MAF Sensor seems like such a simple part. It is just a few strips of metal, a circuit tests the resistance and that's it.

When I bought the truck, it had sat on the lot for a year. Six or Seven months later the police where at the house here every other day and I nearly dropped dead from stress. There was so much going on. I had just installed the power mirrors and finally changed out the HVAC Switch for one with the Defrost button. Meanwhile I was resigning loans and there was much going on that I was trying to stay ahead of. Anyways, suddenly the lights on the doors, the Power Locks, Power Windows... I noticed them on all the time. I was just too busy, I was even tailed at times by police going to work. Less than three months later, the police decided to railroad me out of my home over a family despute. They were wrong, but it saved them hassle. Boom there goes my life... Within another month or two the truck started needing jumpstarts occassionally. I was a wreck. That probably only got worse and I was financially collapsing. Eventually, I threw a second battery in it and a charger. I was not thinking straight, I probably should have bought a new battery and noted how it did.

I limped along for over a year, barely keeping afloat. I couldn't work on the truck, my tools for that were in accessible for months on end with no place to make repairs either way. I kept attributing the problem to USB chargers, tablet use in the truck etc. Eventually, the main battery was determined to be screwed, so I went down to one battery. With the odd charge, that kept me going until the previous September when everything I was just barely hanging onto collapsed again... I did the only thing I could go home. That initiated a SWAT Team and just things that are unbelievable. I parked the truck there walked away, eventually I was arrested, I told the Court they Communistice Bureaucrats and I was incarcerated for a month. Getting out, I was even in worse shape. A friend went to get my truck, lots of hassle starting it, then he bought me a new battery.

Again.. I ended up with problems. Within two weeks I knew we missed the boat in getting me set up, there was no way for me to keep going. It was self defeating. Against my friends wished who was prepared to pay something like $1700 a month to get me up and going, I pulled out after week not wanting to waste his money, parked the truck again at home and was subsequently arrested. It's so stupid it is unbelievable. A short stint in jail and stern warnings not to go home by people that just read files all day and cut deals behind your back. I ended up not even being able to work, completely homeless and destitute. Within two months I returned home with police presence to move the truck to more accessible grounds for safe keeping. It sat there collecting moss and mildew for eight months I think. Moved once I think.

When I picked up it up, it was on a charger all day, it fired right up. Within one day the Check Engine Light came on and it started having problems starting. It is something to do with that sensor or the information associated with it. I am just wondering if something in the computer isn't screwed up. Does a bad MAF Sensor appear bad? Can you tell a bad one from a good one, just by looking at it? $183 is a lot of money for a part I do not seem to think I need. I guess if the truck doesn't run better tomorrow then I'll spend the money but I just have this feeling... it's the like battery problem I had had. It'll be like chasing a ghost while other problems need to be dealt with, like earning money and re-establishing some stabiltiy, some pride, some respect. It always just a cycle from minor vulnerabilities that I would not have if it was not for other people.

Sorry to write a journal, I just... gotta get it out somewhere. Generally, I stay fairly private talking about the truck. I haven't even paid for it in almost three years. I bought it new in 2015 on a loan. The bank chased me, but they seemed to have pulled off once they realised just how insane my situation was.

One thing I was thinking I should do is unplug the battery and with the thinking it will reset the computer, but that is not the case is it? It's gone through lots of that with the battery slowly draining. I just have this thought, kill the power completely without that slow drain and see if it resets something inside. That probably doesn't make sense.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 23rd, 2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 7:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Screw it, lets go buy the MAF Sensor. It's not in stock, but it'll be in first in the morning which does not fit with plans. $183.
Check each company for the cheapest shipping.

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...=M30;m=CG33406)

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-pa...0wbC12OC1mbGV4

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...ensor-19351884
Old October 23rd, 2018, 9:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Any capacitor in the vehicle can "save" a charge to make the system not reset. So a complete disconnect and shorting the cables (not the battery!!!) should do a proper reset. It's worth a shot.

On a personal note, it's a shame you're not here in the Northern Virginia area. I know a contractor that might be able to help you out. Life can suck sometimes. By your comments, you do know the value of pride and self respect, so what little advice I can give is this. Take every chance to recharge, even if it's little stuff. Ten minutes here, an hour there. It does add up. We're here for ya.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 9:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Thanks guys. I am in Canada, so by the time I add the exchange, the shipping and the delay, I'll likely should have just paid the $183. That's a lot of money for a piece of plastic with a three little strips of metal in it. I'll try unplugging the battery, grounding the positive lead. I appreciate the heads up on the stored charge. I do no recall anything in there that will hold reserve power other than the battery, but I'll make sure everything is unplugged. I'll do that before I leave this morning.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another test, disconnect map sensor,looking at earlier post,108 is map,not MAF,map is the altitude compensater,it could have lost it's base value