Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

6,5 TDengine converting to 6,6 Duramax and from 2 WD to 4 WD.

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2017, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6,5 TDengine converting to 6,6 Duramax and from 2 WD to 4 WD.

I got a 1997 mod. Chevrolet Express 2500 with 6,5 TD engine.
This is an old ambulance and pretty heavy - the emty weight is 3.500 kg or about 7.800 pounds.
The car has a lot of milage also so it's very thirsty and I think some of the "horses" has "retired"
I like the car very much, and I'm not the person who change cars very often so therefore I'm wondering to restore this one and change the engine to a upgrated 6,6 Duramax with 6 gear automatic transmission and convert it to a 4 WD.
I'm wondering if anyone has done this or some of it or know anything about it - and know where I can find parts for a good price.
I also want to upgrade the front and inventory.
I'm also looking for manufactures that can deliver nice "goodie" parts.
I'm very grateful for any helpful information and can be e-mailed directly.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Best Regards Magnar in Norway.
Old June 29th, 2017, 12:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything is different between 1997-03 and 2011+ Duramax vans, including the frame, ABS systems, size of the doghouse, ALL electronics are completely different. By the time you order all parts, it will be cheaper to find the whole van. Unless you have access to free parts and labor, it is not economically feasible.
Old July 1st, 2017, 12:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy a new 6.5 diesel. Called the optimizer. The 6.5 is actually a good engine for what it was.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

OK Artie1 - I did not know that even the frame was different.

It's not only to buy another car because we have so very strange rules about what the car is registrated as and tax rules etc. here in Norway.
And since this car is an old ambulance it also have a high roof with integrated space for strobe lamps that will be very useful for me since the car will be used together with huge special transport to warn the trafic.
But since we have a lot of snow, ice and high mountains in Norway it would be grate with 4WD and a stronger engine so I will try to find out if I have any possibility to do something with it
Old November 24th, 2017, 5:18 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds to me like you should buy another car. unless you do all the work yourself and have all the part form previous cars. You list all to be changed, whats the point then?