Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

91 Vandura G1500 fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2024, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 91 Vandura G1500 fuel issue

So my van left me stranded outside the liquor store yesterday. Worse places to break down I suppose. Anyway it's not getting fuel. It will start if I pour gas into the throttle body. I had this issue a couple months ago and I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. I doubt it's that again. Bad connection maybe. Yes there is fuel in it.
Does anyone have a fuel pump wiring diagram for these? Know where the relay is? Ideas of what to check?
Thank you
Old May 18th, 2024, 3:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

My 93 5.7 has done this 3 times and always the ICM in the distributer. One time off and on problem for 6 months, 2 times immediate fail
Old May 18th, 2024, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
My 93 5.7 has done this 3 times and always the ICM in the distributer. One time off and on problem for 6 months, 2 times immediate fail
Oh interesting. I wouldn't have checked there, at least not right away. But at times it is hard to start so it sounds likely. Although how would that cause no fuel delivery?
Do you know if there is a resistance value to check for on the ICM's?
Thanks

Last edited by gfunkadunk; May 18th, 2024 at 4:26 PM.
Old May 18th, 2024, 6:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

All I remember is the injecters did not fire and I could run it by pouring gas into the throttle body. ICM can be tested; should be something you can google.
Old May 18th, 2024, 6:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you hear the fuel pump spinning? If stuck sometimes a hit to the center of the tank bottom will get it started...but don't shut it off until you are home. Getting power to the pump? Getting power to the injectors? What brand of pump? I had an 87 s10 that had a parts store fuel pump last 9 months. Carter I think. I bought GM from the dealership the next time. It could still be the pump but also could be a lot of other things.

https://charm.li/Chevy%20Truck/1991/G%2010%20Van%20V8-350%205.7L/Repair%20and%20Diagnosis/Transmission%20and%20Drivetrain/Automatic%20Transmission%2FTransaxle/Testing%20and%20Inspection/Symptom%20Related%20Diagnostic%20Procedures/Diagnosis%20By%20Symptom/Engine%20Doesn%27t%20Start/

​​​​​​

https://charm.li/Chevy%20Truck/1991/...elay/Locations

Last edited by Triaged; May 18th, 2024 at 6:48 PM.
Old May 18th, 2024, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Triaged
Can you hear the fuel pump spinning? If stuck sometimes a hit to the center of the tank bottom will get it started...but don't shut it off until you are home. Getting power to the pump? Getting power to the injectors? What brand of pump? I had an 87 s10 that had a parts store fuel pump last 9 months. Carter I think. I bought GM from the dealership the next time. It could still be the pump but also could be a lot of other things.

https://charm.li/Chevy%20Truck/1991/...n%27t%20Start/
Thanks, I disconnected the wiring harness by the filter to the pump and put power to it, the pump works. The filter was flowing fine and the tank was not dirty a couple months ago.
I need to look up a wiring schematic and understand this. I'm not great with electrical, but think it could be the relay
Old May 18th, 2024, 6:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Relay location:
FuelPumpRelayLocations

Last edited by Triaged; May 18th, 2024 at 6:53 PM.
Old May 18th, 2024, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so below the fuel pump relay is a red wire coming out of the harness. Disconnect the clip, run power to the red wire and the fuel pump should run. In my case it does. Ok good.
However I still can't start it. So it's gotta be either clogged injectors or this cracked fitting on the throttle body is leaking enough fuel so that I'm not getting adequate pressure to the injectors. POS old van. I'll JB weld that fitting on and see how long that holds. Then get back to the fuel problem.
You can see the stream of gas if you look closely.

This van needs a new engine and is not worth buying a new throttle body for.

Last edited by gfunkadunk; May 18th, 2024 at 8:08 PM.
Old May 18th, 2024, 8:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Isn't too likely that both injections die at the same time. Did you check power to the injectors? I think the 12v is constant and the ground is switched. Injector noid lights aren't that expensive. You can also disconnect the fuel line and check flow into a bottle. I don't recall there being a pressure test port but the pressure is low compared to more modern EFI.
Old May 18th, 2024, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Triaged
Isn't too likely that both injections die at the same time. Did you check power to the injectors? I think the 12v is constant and the ground is switched. Injector noid lights aren't that expensive. You can also disconnect the fuel line and check flow into a bottle. I don't recall there being a pressure test port but the pressure is low compared to more modern EFI.
I don't have a multimeter here, I'm not at my shop so don't have all my tools. I agree unlikely both injectors quit at the same time. It was getting fuel to the t body as I saw it leaking out the cracked t body housing by the fitting. That is now JB welded so I'm going to let that cure before sending any fuel thru. And not touch that fitting again for fear of breaking it. I think the injectors weren't spraying just now because the leak caused there to be low pressure.

Quick Reply: 91 Vandura G1500 fuel issue