Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'92 G20 starter won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 G20 starter won't turn over

Hey all, I'm here representing a friend of mine in solving some issues he's having with his 1992 Chevy Van G20 with the 5.0L V8.

He was driving the car late yesterday afternoon, as late as 5:00, and he returned to my house to charge his cell phone, and upon his attempt to leave he found that the car had power to all it's functions, but when he tried to turn the key, there was literally no response.

No click, no urgh urgh urgh, nothing. We've checked the battery charge, attempted a jump, but no dice.

I'd found through research that it could be one of the cylinders stuck in it's initial compression stroke because it didn't have enough juice in the battery to finish it, so my father suggested turning the fan clutch a bit to see if we can't break it if it's stuck, that turned up to no dice.

We also heard that tapping on the starter could help restart the solenoid on the starter if it rested in a bad spot, but we're having a hard time figuring out where it is, with the lack of any option to jack it up.

If anybody has any suggestions short of towing it to the shop, help would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 26th, 2011, 7:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the positive battery cable that goes to the starter first. It may just be loose from the battery post.