Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'95/G20 Need to replace steering box/gear with Hydro asst brake

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2019, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95/G20 Need to replace steering box/gear with Hydro asst brake

My steering gear/box is leaking like a sieve. Been checking out the pickApart yards and the hydro systems are few and far between. Found a nice box but it's from a vacuum assist brake unit. Chevy says there a one number difference in the part # 18 to 19 between the two units. But all the aftermarket sites don't differentiate between the two brake systems for boxes, Is it OK to use a vac brake system in a hydro asst unit?? Thanks Paul
Old May 29th, 2019, 3:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 1azowl
My steering gear/box is leaking like a sieve. Been checking out the pickApart yards and the hydro systems are few and far between. Found a nice box but it's from a vacuum assist brake unit. Chevy says there a one number difference in the part # 18 to 19 between the two units. But all the aftermarket sites don't differentiate between the two brake systems for boxes, Is it OK to use a vac brake system in a hydro asst unit?? Thanks Paul
No. You would have to swap out the H-A for an oil pump steering box.
Old May 29th, 2019, 4:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How comfortable are you w/a rebuild?
Old May 29th, 2019, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies!! Looking at the aftermarket folks (Rock, Auto Z, Advance, O'R) none differentiate between Hydro or Vac braking systems. Don't want to do all this work and have a giant fail!! LOL Thanks Paul
Old May 29th, 2019, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

and I meant to say...none of the suppliers differentiate in steering boxes between/for Hydro and Vac breaking systems! I'm confused, hope I didn't confuse you!! LOL P