Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

About to change out Power steering hoses.

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2024, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default About to change out Power steering hoses.

Anyone use Edelmann hoses for the high pressure lines? I usually go with Gates for hoses and belts but the Edelmann hoses on Rockauto look good.

Also, My van doesn't have the PS cooler. I was wondering if it was worth adding it while I'm in there. I believe my van has some sort of cold weather package even though it's been in the south since new. It has a block heater and is a cargo with rear heat/air. I'm in Florida where we need cooling more than block heaters LOL.

The cooler is just a different return line with a long metal section that folds back on itself (pictured below). I'm going to replace the return line anyway and the cost difference is not an issue. The one I have is just the metal end with a short hose. It looks like the cooler section clips somewhere but I'm not sure where. Probably the frame rail.

Old April 11th, 2024, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son in laws 2008 Yukon XL Denali with 6.2L Vortec (a recent find with only 14,000 original miles on it!) has the power steering cooler, and for that vehicle it's just a loop like you show, sitting vertical in front of the radiator on the drivers side. Well, it's probably in front of the AC condenser, which is in front of the radiator. You can see it through the grill. On the passenger side in front of the radiator and condenser is an oil cooler. Both are stock from the factory.

Anyway, if you don't already have one, you will have to figure out a way to clip it in place in front of the radiator, which will likely mean removing the front grill to do the job, versus just replacing the hose you have with a similar one. If I didn't think I needed the extra cooling, I would stay with what you've got, to avoid the extra work. But I'm old and lazy...

Last edited by jfmorris; April 11th, 2024 at 2:55 PM.