Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Advice on an Express 2500 RWD LWB cargo van for going to the track

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2018, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on an Express 2500 RWD LWB cargo van for going to the track

I am a motorcycle racer and looking for a new vehicle to get to and from and track. I am interested in hearing some recommendations about what I am thinking to do and have some questions about this platform.

My requirements are for a vehicle that:
  • Will be able to tow a trailer
  • Will have room for at least 4 people (see below on my ideas about an extra row of seats)
  • Will have room for all of my gear; folding canopy, folding table, tool boxes, cooler, spare wheels, a couple of storage boxes of chemicals, spares and other gear)
  • I can (optionally) put the bike in it if it’s just me going to the track
  • I can sleep in at the track
  • I can bolt-in additional rows of seats for passengers so that I can carry more than 5 adults in from time-to-time

I'm thinking that a used Express 2500 LWB cargo van with 75k - 100k miles on it is the way to go. I was thinking about the RWD 6.0 liter V8.

A couple of questions:
  • How easy would it be to get a couple of rows of seats complete with proper seat belts from the passenger version of this vehicle to install and then remove as needed? Are those parts interchangeable between the models?
  • Does the cargo van come with a tow package from the factory that includes transmission cooler and electrics or is all of the towing gear aftermarket?
  • If it doesn’t come with a transmission cooler is one required and is there a decent aftermarket kit?
  • What are the sorts of things to look for with a vehicle with that many miles on it? Anything in particular to inspect prior to purchasing it?

I am a fairly competent mechanic and welder so plan on doing most or all of the maintenance on the vehicle myself.

Any thoughts on this approach and advice about these vehicles is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan