Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Another seat thread

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2018, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they have some lurch. I heard about kits to fix it but haven't tried.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont have a personal issue when driving any of my other 3 cars, so it is not me

it may just be me in this particular seat, that is the way it is on all cars
do a google search for car seat uncomfortable and you will hit a million links

but it will have to be fixed, i drive a minimum of 125 miles a day up to 300, so the seat will have to be swapped out or changed somehow
Old December 2nd, 2018, 8:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... as Joe explained to me.. van seats sit more upright due to your position in the vehicle. Maybe that is your issue? Your back does not like sitting upright. I am slouching back in this chair as I type this right now. If was sitting here bolted upright for extended lengths of time everyday... I would probably tire and not relax around here on these forums so much. I do not know the solution. It'll come to you at some point.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 2nd, 2018 at 8:46 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if that's true or not, but maybe that's why mine is better after I kicked the front of the seats up, close to 3/4"
Old December 2nd, 2018, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 557 Posts

I've always liked captains chairs. The recliner style seats make me tired and cramped. Everyone has their personal preference.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 9:41 PM
CF Pro Member

$2 and 15 minutes

I was thinking about this problem driving home. The problem of the guy here with his back. Another guy here uses washers to change the angle of his seat. I have installed a 3/8 sheet of MDF under the seat in the past for a trial. This had the unintentional effect of lifting whole seat 3/8 of a inch. I could actually notice that 3/8". It even leveled out my two arm rests so that they where the same height making them more comfortable. Why doesn't the guy with seat problems go ahead and spend $2 on a handful of washers? It takes a 15mm socket and rachet to remove the seat. Four nuts. Stack the washers in place. Put the seat back. That would probably fix his problem. Two dollars and fifteen minutes.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 3rd, 2018 at 9:44 PM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 9:01 AM
CF Veteran

And I didn't remove the rear bolts to put the washers on the front, I just loosened them.
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wanted to update this

took the van to an upholstery shop in tucson i have used before

they looked over the seat several times, put me in the seat several times to see how i was sitting etc

this is what we came up with

i dont think this will relate to everyone
a taller male with narrower hips and longer legs may not be bothered by the seat

but i am female overweight with a big butt, 5'6"

if i sit back into the seat i am running into the side supports on each side and they are super hard, like they have no padding on them
this wont bother you if you end up between the side supports with thinner hips

the left side of the seat bottom at 8500 miles is already starting to sag which is ridiculous - and i actually have running boards and lift myself onto and out of the seat each time..

the bottom of the seat is tilted back a good bit and i am sitting low into the seat, like a soft couch you cannot get out of
this could be alleviated with the power seat i think by tilting up the back

i am reaching a lot for the gas pedal leg wise unless the seat is pretty far forward and a big bend in my knees , again it looks like designed more for a taller person

they did agree that putting washers under the back bolts to lift that part of the seat up needs doing, slight possibility it would make it a lot better but probably wont totally fix it
they want to add padding in the center of the bottom part, possibly more springs in addition to tilting up the back with the washers and lift/support the bottom part of the seat closest to the back with even more padding
want to build up the lower back part of the seat in the center and try to reshape and pad some on the side supports

so basically make the bottom part flatter and higher in the back
and make the top part more flat, shape the sides and pad the sides better

this is what i was thinking from how i felt sitting on it so hopefully it will work

he thinks i may have to consider getting some pedal extenders also, that i am reaching too much for the pedals if i have the seat back with any extension in my legs....

all my other cars have a wider/flatter type seat and i have no problems with them

without the pads in there today i can barely see over the steering wheel i am sitting so low and back...

interesting that stanvan lifted the front of his seat...

i may try to drive a power seat van end of the week and see how it feels but i really think a lot of it is the shape of the seat for me

Last edited by Expresscv; December 5th, 2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old December 5th, 2018, 8:53 AM
CF Veteran

That may explain your issue. I do think these vans are made for a taller person. At 6', it fits me like a glove. A tight glove, as I carry my extra weight out front, and there's not much movement of the steering wheel. As for the adjustment I made, it seemed to me that it was leaning forward to the point I felt I could slide off the front.

The side of the seat wearing down at 8500 mi is wrong. And that should be a warranty issue.
Old December 5th, 2018, 3:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for being honest. It made me laugh in a good way to see your situation. Lift the rear of the seat and see what happens. I do not mean to disrespect the people placing their time into you, but they do have to sell to earn their living. By the way, the hardness of the unfinished interior hurts me at times too. That is what is, an unfinished interior. The upfitters build on top of what we are given from the factory which is just merely a base. There's no sense in the complaining I read about in regards to rough finishes, flashing, etc. Just be thankful that this is not a 'base' rough finish vehicle from 1942.