Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevy Express with the 2.8 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2018, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When we shopped for our van, I really wanted the diesel 6.6L (for how I use my van) until I saw the cost difference between it and vans with the 6.0L (new or used)... I was interested to see what Chevy was going to use in the 2017 Express when I heard they were going to change to a new diesel engine, but the 2.8L is insufficient to tow much of anything. I view the 2.8L as a means to get a little better fuel economy on old iron to compete with the euro-style vans from everyone else. However, you still have to consider the higher cost of the diesel option when purchasing and the increased cost per gallon for diesel. From numbers I've found online, generally empty 4.8L and 6.0L vans get around 14-16 MPG (you just get less capability from the 4.8L, and it's not much cheaper to buy it in that configuration). The 2.8L diesel seems to get around 20 mpg. That's around 15% improvement in MPG, however (in my area) diesel costs about 30% more than gas. I can get better than 400 miles on a tank with 2 adults and 5 kids (plus all of our "stuff"... so not empty) and I still average in the 14-16 MPG range. (It's only when I'm towing our 7500 lbs travel trailer that my mileage suffers, but that's why I bought our van.)

Math time...
400 miles at 15 MPG equals 26.667 gallons... Gas near me is about $2.10/gal... 2.10 x 26.227 = $56 to fill up
400 miles at 20 MPG equals 20 gallons... Diesel is about $2.90... 2.90 x 20 = $58 to fill up

It costs more to fuel the diesel even though it gets better MPG (I realize that gas/diesel prices change)... Plus when I bought my van, an equally equipped 6.6L diesel (granted its bigger and more $$ than the 2.8L) was about $15,000 more than I paid for my van with the 6.0L. I can buy a LOT of gas for $15k! I'm not sure that the 2.8L will hold such a premium in the used market, so that might be a moot point. Be sure to do the math before setting your heart on one engine over another, even if the MPG numbers are better.
Old December 12th, 2018, 5:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is part of my mileage log for my 2016 Express LT, 6.0L. It's per tank of gas. October 3-13 we were on a vacation and towing our aforementioned travel trailer. You will notice the fill-ups where we did some driving without dragging the trailer and the MPG improved (overall for that tank). I see anywhere from 7 to 18 on the DIC, but the real calculated number per tank gives a more accurate representation of reality. The November 24 fill-up was with the family to Orlando, FL (all highway/freeway, most of it around 70-75 mph). The November 25 was mixed highway and city driving. I just wanted to include some real numbers, and not the lies that car companies put on window stickers to impress buyers.

Last edited by GatorHawk24; December 12th, 2018 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Corrected the attachment
Old December 13th, 2018, 11:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 6.6 Duramax van also gets around 19-22 MPG freeway unloaded. Hook up a 10k lbs trailer, gross combined 18k lbs and it goes 8-9 mpg. A 6.0 gas van with same load would also get around 8 mpg, it just gets considerably slower going up hill, but you may lose like 5 minutes climbing that,
Old October 5th, 2020, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2018 gmc savana extended cargo with the 2.8 max. Average over 25mpg Highway, considerably less in town depending on how you drive. On our current road trip around the western US average has been 25mpg with a mix of Highway, city, mountain and dirt roads which I’m very happy with. Done up as a camper. Truck scale says weight is around 7600 fully loaded, full fuel, with me and my girlfriend in it. Have about 24k miles on it. It’s rated to tow up to 6,100 and gross combined max of 13,000. I have not towed anything with it yet but think 3,000 would be about as much as I would really want to tow especially in the mountains. Only had one problem so far. It blew a fuel return line at just under 11k miles. Was going over a mountain pass, not sure if that had anything to do with it. What I realized during that debacle is that this is a rare vehicle/engine combo. Luckily they just had to replace a clip for the line but if it had been the line itself that needed replacing the part was on back order and wait time would have been indefinite. It doesn’t share much part commonality with the canyon/Colorado either. Even the oil filters are different. Also it takes a decos 2 diesel oil which isn’t stocked at most oil change places. Even the dealerships have to special order the filter at times so check ahead if you aren’t changing it yourself. Love the van, wish they offered it in 4x4 with a high roof.

Last edited by Shane Mulligan; October 5th, 2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Picture
Old October 5th, 2020, 9:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Weldtec Designs has some drivetrain kits for that van and there are other outfits that will convert it to 4x4 but it is a big investment. I did a 5" lift on my 3500 with the 6.0 as it is a full on RV and needed clearance more than traction.
I have a 3.0 litre diesel Mercedes OM642 & NAG1 transmission in my Jeep Grand Cherokee so I can get parts at any Mercedes or Mopar dealer which is handy but it holds 10 liters of rare expensive oil. How much does the 2.8 hold?
Old October 5th, 2020, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

I know Weldtec does some awesome stuff, I just can’t afford any of it. Quirky conversion is offered as well I believe. Would like a locking rear diff at least, mine came without the g80. It holds 6 quarts of oil. It’s not that expensive, just can’t find it at autozone, napa etc. Can find it online easy enough but have been camping full time and getting stuff mailed can be a pain.
Old October 6th, 2020, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh...nice van Shane! Man I'm jealous, I wanted it so bad. It must be heaven feeling the torque of that little diesel, knowing it's just sipping gas.

I remember starting this thread. I though I'd have a good career. Then something happened and I just lost my interest in computer networking and quit school. I started playing/practicing electric guitar alot (I'm kind of bumming about Eddie Van Halen's passing today).

But I did get enough cash together to buy this 2007 conversion van with a 5.3. It's really clean, just a little mild surface rust on the rear of the chassis because it came from Illinois. But it's safe in AZ in my garage now. It's not the brand new Duramax cargo I wanted, but it's paid for and my insurance is only $380 a year on it. I like taking it to the park, bringing my guitar with me.

Enjoy your van.

Matt

Old October 7th, 2020, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lovevans
Ahh...nice van Shane! Man I'm jealous, I wanted it so bad. It must be heaven feeling the torque of that little diesel, knowing it's just sipping gas.

I remember starting this thread. I though I'd have a good career. Then something happened and I just lost my interest in computer networking and quit school. I started playing/practicing electric guitar alot (I'm kind of bumming about Eddie Van Halen's passing today).

But I did get enough cash together to buy this 2007 conversion van with a 5.3. It's really clean, just a little mild surface rust on the rear of the chassis because it came from Illinois. But it's safe in AZ in my garage now. It's not the brand new Duramax cargo I wanted, but it's paid for and my insurance is only $380 a year on it. I like taking it to the park, bringing my guitar with me.

Enjoy your van.

Matt

Looks like a sweet ride. Eddie was my favorite, so sad. Got to see them for the first David Lee Roth reunion in ‘07 amazing show. Nice having the van paid off, new van cost me $31k and the build was $11k more and took a year. Lots of money and work but it was a fun process and I learned a lot. Need to make room for an acoustic in there, kinda tight with 2 people in it along with all our stuff.
Old April 9th, 2024, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Does your key fob for the 2.8 have dedicated button for remote start? Mine doesn't. They said it doesn't have remote start and that I have to get an aftermarket one installed.