Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Considering early 2000s Savana or Express - What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2022, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering early 2000s Savana or Express - What to look for?

I'm at a point where the Chrysler Town and Country isn't cutting it. We like to camp and would love to tow a camper, but the 3000 lb towing capacity on the minivan is limiting, not to mention that space after the third row seat is lacking. So my wife and I are seriously considering a GM passenger van. We'd be taking this on road trips and hopefully towing a two-axle camper in lieu of hitting the sack in a hotel, and store other camping stuff in the very back (my wife likes the idea of somehow installing a drawer unit for organizing the parent survival kits!).

For our budget, we've only been able to find pre-2010 gasser vans that have around 250000 miles or less. We can deal with rear seating rows having less leg room since mostly car seats will be going back there, placing value on some more cargo space behind the 3rd row seat (though we might like the extra leg room for changing diapers on the floor!). It's my understanding too that these vans can survive to at least 500000 miles if maintained properly, and I know it will take me forever to get there (I've put 200000 miles on daily drivers before over a 10-year period or so).

Having never worked on a GM passenger van (or a GM truck at all for that matter), I have a few questions:
  • Is there a particular model year that's favorable pre-2010?
  • I'm of the mind that the bigger motor is better, especially coming from a Pentastar-powered Town and Country (fast minivans)! Is that the case here too?
  • Do these vans come with key fobs for remote entry? That would be useful for not fumbling around with keys while running to the van in the pouring rain.
  • Are all of them equipped with rear vents for heating and cooling? I don't want my kids to freeze or melt!
  • Is there anything else I should be looking for with these, sight unseen or not, especially where salt is used to de-ice roads?
Old April 5th, 2022, 7:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyTruckGuy
  • I'm of the mind that the bigger motor is better, especially coming from a Pentastar-powered Town and Country (fast minivans)! Is that the case here too?
Do you need a bigger motor?
The bigger it is, the more it guzzles. Probably not what you want with current gas prices.
There's nothing wrong with the 5.3L

• Do these vans come with key fobs for remote entry? That would be useful for not fumbling around with keys while running to the van in the pouring rain.
Yes. Optional
  • Are all of them equipped with rear vents for heating and cooling? I don't want my kids to freeze or melt!
Not all. It's an option.
Old April 5th, 2022, 1:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think 500k engine life would be a stretch for an LS engine
I currently have 200K on my 06 Silverado (Bought new) with the 5.3. Still has plenty.of power and 6000 miles / qt of oil. Has been dealer maintained since new.
But the oil pump is the weak point of these engines.and has failed twice in the last three years.
The pump is usually ok but the rubber seal for the pickup dries out and becomes harden over time which allows air into the pump. This can occur between 100-225k miles.
The pump is cheap, but the labor to replace is $$$. Especially for a 4WD.
Old April 7th, 2022, 3:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I had two 2002 Express vans with 5.7 engines. Both had 1-ton suspension under them. 15-17 MPG was about the best I ever did with one.

2003 is the changeover year, where they get the LS engines and updated nose and dash. They are a little easier to repair certain issues with, but lately they are bringing a big premium in price too.

Here in New York frame rot is a major issue on these vans. I watch surplus auctions and lately every single one they note frame rot, particularly the 2003-up ones. You also have to look over the footwell on the passenger side.

Vented windows are an option, the 2002 I still have has rear heat and A/C in it. The vent hardware is plastic and breaks easily.. Same for the door handles.

Speaking of which, if you want mine, it needs a fuel pressure regulator, which on the 97-02 is under the upper intake manifold. I have one to go on, but it's a bear to change. It has like 140K on it. $1300 would take it away. Or swap for the minivan. It does have power windows, mirrors, and will come with a power seat for the driver's side. But it's on the rough side.

Old April 7th, 2022, 4:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, for the ‘96-‘02 Express vans, they have a known issue with the lower intake manifold gasket failing at 100-130k miles. I’ve had a 96 and currently have a 02 Express (both with the 5.7L V8) and both of them had this failure at 110-130k miles.

Peter