Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

97 express fuel pump issues? Help

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2022, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 express fuel pump issues? Help

My van is having a fuel pressure issue. Had an old fuel pump(200k or more km on it) replaced along with the fuel filter after dieing on the side of the road. It lasted 3000km/2 months befor a crank no start issue after about 2 weeks and I was told it was faulty and needed to be replaced. Had it replaced drove 1000km and parked with just over a 1/4 tank of gas. 2.5 weeks later I go to start it and the battery is dead from the radio clock being on from a bad connection/in cab moisture issue(small leak that drips water from windshield onto radio area of dash in heavy rain.). Remove and charge battery to 100% put battery back in and same crank no start no fuel sound. What the heck is going on with my van just hammering through fuel pumps? No leaks in the fuel line.
Old April 1st, 2022, 4:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Are you buying cheap pumps or good ones? A Delphi is good quality.

I would check the relay and be sure this one is getting power
The following 2 users liked this post by William Kisselstein:
MitchM (April 2nd, 2022), Triaged (April 1st, 2022)
Old April 1st, 2022, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first replacement was an aftermarket pump from Napa the most recent pump was a Chevy oem part from the dealership. I was told the relay had been checked in the diagnosis. I'm just dumbfounded why the brand new pumps have been failing a week or 2 after install with not that many hours on them. Is there a posibility that it's shorted somehow and just running non stop and burning out with the key out of the ignition?
Old April 2nd, 2022, 10:48 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Redruckus
My van is having a fuel pressure issue. Had an old fuel pump(200k or more km on it) replaced along with the fuel filter after dieing on the side of the road. It lasted 3000km/2 months befor a crank no start issue after about 2 weeks and I was told it was faulty and needed to be replaced. Had it replaced drove 1000km and parked with just over a 1/4 tank of gas. 2.5 weeks later I go to start it and the battery is dead from the radio clock being on from a bad connection/in cab moisture issue(small leak that drips water from windshield onto radio area of dash in heavy rain.). Remove and charge battery to 100% put battery back in and same crank no start no fuel sound. What the heck is going on with my van just hammering through fuel pumps? No leaks in the fuel line.
How many miles now? Have you had a scan tool on it yet?
Old April 2nd, 2022, 3:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I will pose the possibility that over the years, a lot of junk and debris worked its way past the fuel filter and landed in the bottom of your old fuel tank. junk sits there, gums up your pump, which runs hot trying to pump debris . overheat and debris cause premature pump failure. I also assume you don't run with only 1/8 tank of gas which causes the fuel pump to run hotter. a fuel pump submerged in fuel runs cooler because the fuel can absorb the heat from pump operation, I have seen boat fuel tanks of galvanized steel that looked great on the outside but had repeat fuel pump failures because the tank interior wall was shedding rust particles that gummed up fuel filter after fuel filter resulting in fuel starvation , engine shutdowns and problems on the water. RX 1/ drop existing tank, purge gas, steam clean. or 2/ buy a new or good used fuel tank.

Old April 2nd, 2022, 7:55 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by MitchM
I will pose the possibility that over the years, a lot of junk and debris worked its way past the fuel filter and landed in the bottom of your old fuel tank. junk sits there, gums up your pump, which runs hot trying to pump debris . overheat and debris cause premature pump failure. I also assume you don't run with only 1/8 tank of gas which causes the fuel pump to run hotter. a fuel pump submerged in fuel runs cooler because the fuel can absorb the heat from pump operation, I have seen boat fuel tanks of galvanized steel that looked great on the outside but had repeat fuel pump failures because the tank interior wall was shedding rust particles that gummed up fuel filter after fuel filter resulting in fuel starvation , engine shutdowns and problems on the water. RX 1/ drop existing tank, purge gas, steam clean. or 2/ buy a new or good used fuel tank.
I get your point, but lots or most fuel tanks these days are plastic, so no rust. My instincts are telling me they are buying cheap fuel, many at these off-brand gas station/mini-marts, and it that fuel that is bad. Number one, it's cheap and number two, the dispenser filter rarely gets changed. It's best to buy fuel at a high volume brand station, as the fuel is better and the filters get changed, even at an ARCO station. LOL!

Many parts, even brand name parts are not made in North America, but Asia or Mexico, so its not like they have much quality control over in those places in the world. Japan, who doesnt make parts for non-Japanese vehicle would be great, but China/SE Asia is cheaper as is Mexico.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; April 2nd, 2022 at 8:03 PM.
Old April 7th, 2022, 3:44 AM
CF Pro Member

97-2002 tanks are metal
Old April 7th, 2022, 12:55 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
97-2002 tanks are metal
Not on my 1998 Chevy K-1500, it's not. Perhaps on the vans they are metal.
Old April 8th, 2022, 4:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Well, this is the van forum and you're talking to someone who replaced one on a van because it rusted out
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (April 8th, 2022)