Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Engine Hot A/C Turned Off

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2023, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine Hot A/C Turned Off

Express 2014 AWD, 65K miles, Waldoch conversion, non-hitop.

Yesterday short drive to store 15 miles, on the way back the DIC shows message Engine Hot A/C Turned off, and temperature gauge spiked all the way up.

Pulled over, van did not appear overly hot, no obvious signs of radiator fluid, steam or smoke, i could grab and hold the hose going to top of radiator, for a few seconds, I'd expect it to be extremely hot.

Decided to cautiously drive home, temperaturge gauge dropped back down, a few miles later, it spiked up again and message displayed on DIC again, I pressed on, now only a few miles from home, temperature dropped and message cleared, staying at 210 the last 10 miles or so home.

Idled it at home and it did not go up in temperature.

Let it cool, could find no obvious signs, the sensor by #1 cyclinder looks good as does the wiring harness for it.

Internet has lots of messages on Engine Hot A/C off, but they all have symptom of temperature gauge reading 160, while mine was spiking hot.

It did take about 1/2 gallon of radiator fluid (once cooled down), so maybe i was just low, I haven't checked the radiator fluid in many miles, so maybe it's been low a long time and finally pushed it over the edge ?

I plugged scanner in and there were no stored codes.

I'll do some driving this week and see what happens.

I'm concerned something is going on, but with no obvious signs, how should i proceed ?

Just carry extra coolant with me ?

I have a 2006 express awd with 115K miles and still on original thermostat and all is still well.

Any ideas,
Dave ?

Old July 24th, 2023, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

always keep your coolant on the full line, and monitor it to make sure you're not losing any.
Old July 26th, 2023, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Pin hole leak in rear heater pipe.

The coolant loss / engine hot is now explained, will keep a close eye on coolant level until I can repair.

The following 2 users liked this post by DaveKCCD:
Rednucleus (July 26th, 2023), Triaged (July 26th, 2023)
Old July 26th, 2023, 2:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Wow. That must have been really fun to look for.
Old July 26th, 2023, 4:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Are these hoses even readily available? Replaced a leaky radiator on mine and replaced all the hoses attached to the radiator.... But man are there a lot of other hoses going all over the place an they all look custom. Saw an aluminum bit rubbing on the passenger shock tower and put a piece of rubber between them.
Old July 27th, 2023, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

It wasn't too hard to find, just had too put in the garage since I live on gravel / farm, otherwise maybe i'd have spotted this long before.

I checked the coolant about July 1 and it was full, but than drove to east cost, than to san diego, and back to kansas city area (and it was some hot driving weather out there !).

It never ran hot until this short trip, but all that driving finally leaked enough out, i'm also concerned it's size is growing, so I won't be putting this repair off for long.

I haven't been able to source a part number yet, the diagrams I've found don't match up to the picture.

Anyone have a part number ?

I also haven't removed that plastic shroud yet and traced it out, my concern is that it leads directly to the heater core and is even a bigger job than i want to do.

Not sure, maybe this becomes a dealer repair job.

Maybe I'll try some flex tape !

( had a steering wheel sensor go bad and lead to a stabiltrac error on the DIC, and I wasn't taking that mess part, some jobs are worth paying someone else for, still cheaper than car payment even with the few repairs I've had to do to these vans, they just run, and the AWD is really nice, under powered for towing anything but a utility tailer or very small camper, but love'em, probably will move up to an AWD transit van with the diesel motor in the future, since Chevy stopped the awd models).
Old July 27th, 2023, 8:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

RockAuto shows the hoses for mine with some good pictures.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...308860&pt=6892
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (July 27th, 2023)