Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express Van and Bucket Seats

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2018, 8:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a picture of the Redarc remote sensor installed on the bracket.
Old October 4th, 2018, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost ready to go camping. The wiring for the trailer and brake controller has been slow going and methodical.

We did make some progress with the hitch though. We could not source a class V soon enough for our trip. Apparently they are back ordered. We ended up settling with a class IV Curt 1000/10000 for now. Way overkill for our present pop up but close to the 900lb tongue weight of the toy hauler I want in the future.

Curt hitch goes up

Dad and son teamwork

Did you say camping?

Last edited by Altered4x4; October 4th, 2018 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old March 14th, 2021, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24

The Redarc Tow Pro Elite uses a remote interface to adjust trailer brake intensity. I installed it below the van's tow mode button, and the rest of the sensor is behind the dash.
Hey, I just stumbled upon this redarc install and I happened to install mine the exact same way. One thing I did not think about was that in drive the gear selector blocks view of the redarc control ****. Did this bother you at all? Is it not necessary to see the led status at all times? I was debating installing it to the left of the tow haul mode button and thought about moving it since I cant see it while driving.
Old March 15th, 2021, 2:32 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mchlwvr614
Hey, I just stumbled upon this redarc install and I happened to install mine the exact same way. One thing I did not think about was that in drive the gear selector blocks view of the redarc control ****. Did this bother you at all? Is it not necessary to see the led status at all times? I was debating installing it to the left of the tow haul mode button and thought about moving it since I cant see it while driving.
Yep... Unforeseen consequences of a good idea. I have the same issue, but I can see it when I move slightly. I don't really mind though. I know where it is, and I can access it in an emergency situation, if needed. I don't remember what is to the left and right of the towing button behind the dash, but I'd probably select one of those locations if I were doing it all over again. For me, it's not worth moving.
Old March 17th, 2021, 2:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So I just saw this thread update, and went reading from the beginning. I also learned that the bucket seat option is very hard to find (with 3500/extended/6.0), I found one in So Cal in...October 2020 maybe...and after I decided to buy it a couple days later, it was scooped up. It took until January to find another one, 6 hours away. So I negotiated the price by email, drove up and got a 2019 $21k with 30k miles. Funny how hard they are to find, yes certainly was upfitted by a 3rd party, and was used in OK until somehow it made its way to CA.
Old March 17th, 2021, 10:46 PM
CF Active Member

Yes, they are super hard to find, but 2-3 years old and 30000-40000 miles seems to be when they go to market (probably dealer auctions). Before I bought mine, there was one about 1.5 hrs away. My wife and I talked about it for a couple days and decided to buy it. I called the dealership, but it was already gone. That day we were talking to some friends of ours, and they said they just bought a van with bucket seats... It was THAT van! I ended up having to drive 6 hrs to buy my van. I'm glad I did though; I like the bucket seats much better than the stock benches. I don't understand why GM doesn't just put an aircraft-style track floor system in there and let people have whatever cargo or seating arrangement they want.
Old March 17th, 2021, 11:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
Yes, they are super hard to find, but 2-3 years old and 30000-40000 miles seems to be when they go to market (probably dealer auctions). Before I bought mine, there was one about 1.5 hrs away. My wife and I talked about it for a couple days and decided to buy it. I called the dealership, but it was already gone. That day we were talking to some friends of ours, and they said they just bought a van with bucket seats... It was THAT van! I ended up having to drive 6 hrs to buy my van. I'm glad I did though; I like the buqucket seats much better than the stock benches. I don't understand why GM doesn't just put an aircraft-style track floor system in there and let people have whatever cargo or seating arrangement they want.
Yup, hard to find for sure, and search terms are hard to adjust to get them to show on on craigslist/autotrader/trucktrader/eBay etc. I'd kill to know what they go for at auction. What I paid was a good deal to me, but I'd like to know what THEY paid. Also, clean title and no accidents on it, but I can tell the painted or even replaced the passenger middle door... For undisclosed reasons.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default We are not the only ones!!!

So glad I found this forum. We have 7 kiddos and have an 08 chevy express 3500 with 135" wheelbase and 6L engine, which we also use for towing our TT almost everywhere we vacation.

Since kiddos are growing, we want to trade in for something with headrests. Nissans are expensive. I didn't know the captains chairs in the express were a thing until a week or so ago when I saw a used one on one of the used car sites. This one had the 4.8L which is too small for us...want the 6L.

I've only seen a couple of 2015s with the 4.8 and a 2017 with the 6L but only seats 8...

After seeing this thread, I've got renewed patience!
Old March 22nd, 2021, 7:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

FWIW I hope guys are replacing the hardware supplied with the hitch with regular bolts.

Maybe it doesn't matter out west but I found here that it's impossible to remove one that uses cap bolts, without a torch or cutoff wheel anyhow. No way to keep the bolt from spinning, it just rips out the hole in the plate they give you.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
FWIW I hope guys are replacing the hardware supplied with the hitch with regular bolts.

Maybe it doesn't matter out west but I found here that it's impossible to remove one that uses cap bolts, without a torch or cutoff wheel anyhow. No way to keep the bolt from spinning, it just rips out the hole in the plate they give you.
Bringing the TT home from storage to prepare for a trip, I came to a stop sign in our neighborhood and POP. When I got home (just around the corner), I saw the hitch had three bolts, should have been four. I replaced them all and got them long enough to put two nuts on each...that's my wife's favorite joke now...that I need to check the nuts before we leave with the TT!

Quick Reply: Express Van and Bucket Seats