Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 rear doors stuck, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2011, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool G20 rear doors stuck, advice needed

The doors were working fine for months, and then one day, they wouldn't open. I know the previous owner had some intermittent problems with them, but I don't know details. The only problem I had before now was sometimes it wouldn't unlock with the key. I'd just use the power locks to unlock, and then open the door.

The power lock sounds good. Since it was working one day and not the next, how bad could it be? I haven't even tried oil or anything, I don't know where and how to do this. I was thinking of trying more force.

Is it worth trying to unhinge the drivers side door (and passenger too if needed)? I read it's just 4 bolts per door and the passenger side has wiring. Or what else should I try first?

I want to sell the van and not put more money into it, but I'm not sure I can fix this myself? Would a mechanic know how to take off the doors and replace the whole lock assembly? Do I need a mechanic who knows Chevys? Any idea on what parts and labor would cost me?

Thanks!
Old November 8th, 2011, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Well my experience occasionally the doors just wouldnt open either. First check your symptoms. If the door handle when you push the button in to open it dosnt feel like its gripping anything and just feels like a button more then likley its stuck in the locked position. the lower panel of the handle door comes off pretty easy with a few screw and the lock mechanism is like a flat plate, lift up on it and it unlocks. A lot of time when the door get shut a little rough the plate falls down and the door locks. if it gets to loos i image all the guts couldve ended up in the bottom of your door. still from the inside panel it should be an easy open.. However if you can feel the mechanism going to work hear the pop and nothing happens, the doors jammed somhow..but it shouldn't have anything to with the inside of the door for the most part.

Hope that helps
Old November 8th, 2011, 4:06 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I will listen and see, I was assuming my friend listened and heard the lock go, but will check that again first. If the locking mechanism is working, I was wondering about still taking off the hinges to help it move around and un-jam. I don't know the other options besides trying to force the door.