Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 Restoration insight.

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2011, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G20 Restoration insight.

Hello everyone, I've got more of a serious hobby interest then just a quick fix question or the like. I've acquired a rock-solid van for pennies on the dollar, the worst of its damage suffered is that it spent a few too many summers rotting in florida humidity. While the running gear is solid, the interior is a complete loss with strangely the exception of the dash and console.

I'm pretty much starting from scratch with it, and would like to know where I might have some luck finding the original fixtures. Its got a driver and passenger seat, but as is this isn't something you'd want to bring a date home in with its musky dirt-soaked condition.

Ive been spending some time trying to find parts, but I need a little more insight from a community that might actually know a thing or two about restoring vehicles. Such a directoin and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

To give a basic list of the things I hope to put back in it.

-ceiling lighting
-missing wall panels
-missing door handles
-broken rear sliding window/front wing window
-missing middle seats
-replacement door cards
-missing rear view mirror
-Repair armrests

I of course fear the bulk of this is gonna be custom work by this day and age, I know little about reupholstering a vehicle from scratch, especially when it has no interior left. I do however have a friend who can help me with that, so I suppose its not out of the question.

Mechanically this thing seems rock solid as I said, a check engine light I have no diagnostic hardware to begin to check unfortunately, but it starts swiftly and runs smoothly. I plan on replacing any sensors outright, and I have a manual for this vehicle coming soon. The biggest mechanical hindrance to me now is that the dash is a mess of wires from an aftermarket cruise control and trailer brake device, as well as a just recently busted parking brake that has it stuck in my driveway.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and moreso for any insight you might offer.
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ebay.com is the best bet.