Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help Deciphering What Type Oil I Received at GM

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2019, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Deciphering What Type Oil I Received at GM

I took my '15 Express 3500, 6.0 to a Chevy Dealer for an LOF today. In the past, when I received an LOF, it said Synthetic. My receipt now states 6 19417038B Oil + 1 12690386 (S) Filter. Cost Factor: $3.83 X 6........Filter: $8.08.

My Manual says Synthetic, but now this type of write up is creating confusion. Can anyone shed some light, at 78 I am confused enough, ha! Ron
Old November 20th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you got 6 liters/quarts of the oil and the part number for the oil is listed. google the part number or check the owners manual to see if the part number for the oil is correct.
3.83$ is the cost per liters/quart is pretty good price for semi or full synthetic oil. Its $6 liter where I am.
Old November 20th, 2019, 11:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeman 903
I took my '15 Express 3500, 6.0 to a Chevy Dealer for an LOF today. In the past, when I received an LOF, it said Synthetic. My receipt now states 6 19417038B Oil + 1 12690386 (S) Filter. Cost Factor: $3.83 X 6........Filter: $8.08.

My Manual says Synthetic, but now this type of write up is creating confusion. Can anyone shed some light, at 78 I am confused enough, ha! Ron
All Dexos oils are synesthetic.so its almost certain that you have synthetic oil in your engine..
Old November 21st, 2019, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the responses. I called the Service Advisor, whom I have known for a few years, and she confirmed it was synethic. I felt in my gut that GM wouldn't put something in other than what is recommended, but all the "new type wording" lends to confusion. I have reached the age where I am not capable of doing the routine maintenance items.....so I found a GM Dealer that handles it fast and efficient.
Old November 21st, 2019, 7:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeman 903
Thanks for the responses. I called the Service Advisor, whom I have known for a few years, and she confirmed it was synethic. I felt in my gut that GM wouldn't put something in other than what is recommended, but all the "new type wording" lends to confusion. I have reached the age where I am not capable of doing the routine maintenance items.....so I found a GM Dealer that handles it fast and efficient.
Lots of us complain about dealerships, but there are some good, honest ones out there, Chevrolet doesn't own them, but some people are mistaken that they do.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Lots of us complain about dealerships, but there are some good, honest ones out there, Chevrolet doesn't own them, but some people are mistaken that they do.

Your right on that OilCanHenry. I hear people who complain about the Dealers Labor Rates, but thave they ever checked the garage they are going to? I find the GM folks to be more than helpful, like: About 5 years ago, my '98 Chevy P/U started blowing warm air....into the local Chevy Dealer. i got it back, worked fine, but on the trip home it failed, just shut down. I went back, they kept it overnight and said it was fine. I came home, with it on, and it was just that, fine. I left tha next morning for FL, everything was fine.......for about three hours, and it shut off again! I stopped that night, came out and it worked. I took it to a GM Dealer in GA, and they said it had some "wrong" part. They repaired it, and I called the GM Folks to ask about it - wow! I gave the # of my original bill and the GM Dealerd, and the info from the GA Dealer. About 72 hours later, I received a call and said that the funds I paid to the original dealer would be refunded - and they were. You can't ask anything more, they stood behind their products and service.