Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to remove door covers

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2018, 2:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove door covers

My door speakers are blown or they are crap. So I wanted to replace them. So I removed all the screws I could find, but the cover wont move. I didnt want to break anything so I better ask for guidance here.

or should I just pull it?
Old December 22nd, 2018, 3:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are hidden screws behind the elbow cushion. Also behind the bezel that has the tweeter.

Then around the sides and bottom there are those push in clips that you need to pry out. Use a plastic flat pry bar or a panel removal tool...pry close to the clip.....dont flex the panel too much. It will crack.

The top side mirror trim pc also must come out, as once the panel is fully lose, it comes up and off.....there is a clip over the top of the door where the glass is....all along the top.

It is so stupid that gm got rid of that tweeter location......what morons. I miss that big time.
Grab yourself a nice set of 6.5 inch components and some 4x6's for the rear sound bar if you have it......then a 5 channel amp, and a sub. Hey Its Christmas!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2018, 8:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

And try to do it in warmer temps. The plastic panels will be less likely to break. As for the elbow cushion, it may have small screws holding it down, in combination with spring clips. Heavy (10mm?) bolts will be underneath.

While it's better than having the tweeters at the bottom of the door, acoustically speaking, they are still a little low. The closer to ear level is best. High frequencies are very directional.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 3:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The 96-02 panels, like yours, actually slide up about an inch to remove them, rather than the usual press in clips. Remove the two screws in the armrest and take it off, take off the two screws by the door handle (one is hidden by the snap in plate), and remove the piece at top front (it just presses in).

I didn't know either until I saw a youtube how-to video on changing the inner door handle.

The pod with the power window controls can be removed from the panel, it presses in with two clips a few inches up from the bottom, and snaps at the top. Mine has one snap broken on both sides. There's probably a tweeter in that pod that's installed by melting the posts it attaches to. They did cast a second set of posts that look like they'll take the same small bolts most of the rest of the dash uses so maybe there's optional versions. I plugged a set in on mine but they don't seem to get any audio (it didn't have any before).

I looked at a 2003 door someone ripped up in the junkyard and it looks like those go to the standard pop in plastic pins.

Last edited by William Kisselstein; December 23rd, 2018 at 3:14 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 7:42 AM
CF Active Member

Great thanks everyone!!!
I did find all the screws mentioned above, but was trying to pull out instead of pull up the panel. I dont have any tools where I am riight now, just a couple of drivers. Will try pulling it up
Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:31 PM
CF Active Member

You sir saved me time and money. Thanks, pulling it up was a breeze.
So they are blown, no wonder they overall Van sound is crap.

tweeter sounds good though, then I guess I have to match to a nice 6.5? What about impedance?
Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:43 PM
CF Active Member

That part is gone, just dissapeared... maybe it was Thanos...

Last edited by GeneveConversionVan; December 23rd, 2018 at 6:59 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Nothing lasts forever.

Is there a capacitor on the tweeter? There should be some sort of crossover to help guide the correct frequencies. The passive way to do this is to put a capacitor on the tweeter to limit low frequencies. The active way is a circuit board (in a box), possibly in the door. But your best bet is to replace it all. Finding a 6.5 that will match the tweeter will be difficult at best. And a set will come with a crossover. This is what I got;

Amazon Amazon
Old December 24th, 2018, 6:56 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
Nothing lasts forever.

Is there a capacitor on the tweeter? There should be some sort of crossover to help guide the correct frequencies. The passive way to do this is to put a capacitor on the tweeter to limit low frequencies. The active way is a circuit board (in a box), possibly in the door. But your best bet is to replace it all. Finding a 6.5 that will match the tweeter will be difficult at best. And a set will come with a crossover. This is what I got;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
yes, there is a small capacitor in the tweeter. You can see it in the picture (just the top)
Old December 24th, 2018, 8:12 AM
CF Veteran

And that's what happens when I forum late at night. Looked right at it, didn't see it.