Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to remove seats from 1990 G20 van?

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2015, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove seats from 1990 G20 van?

My second row seats are 2 captains (swivel) chairs. They are each on a black metal plate that is bolted down with 4 bolts. I am trying to unbolt them but they just keep spinning. Are there nuts underneath that I need to have a friend hold? Are they not just threaded into the metal? I am not really sure where to begin unbolting the back bench seat.
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some swivel buckets from a 1980 chevy nomad van. They were just bolt stubs that stuck out the bottom, and the nuts were removed from below.
Old August 19th, 2019, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1989 Chevy G20 trail wagons van

I am trying to figure out how to take off the base plate for the middle seat in my 89 Chevy G20 van I already have the seats out and the guy I bought it from already had one base plate out but I can't figure out how to take the second one off, like I said seats are removed already!u there Is a base plate left on the floor and there isn't any bolts to remove
Old August 19th, 2019, 8:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd start looking for welds. They sure as hell aren't taped in.
Old August 21st, 2019, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

It's not welded there is a pin you can pull on and it looks like you can rotate the plate
But no welds
Old April 25th, 2021, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Seat anchor

[QUOTE=SurfariVan;299544]My second row seats are 2 captains (swivel) chairs. They are each on a black metal plate that is bolted down with 4 bolts.

I'm having the same anchor problems. How do I remove them. I'm hoping you found the answer.
Old April 25th, 2021, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

I have the four bolt pattern on a round raised pyramid type anchor for my center row captain seats. But measuring the bolts doesn't match up. Is this due to the fact that they may be from a bracket?
Old April 27th, 2021, 3:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The ones I have dealt with it's a regular bolt, so you need someone to hold a wrench on the top while you crank it off from the bottom.
The following users liked this post:
Workingvan (January 22nd, 2023)
Old April 27th, 2021, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Seat anchor

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
The ones I have dealt with it's a regular bolt, so you need someone to hold a wrench on the top while you crank it off from the bottom.
removing the second row anchor for captain chairs. I finally figured it out and thank you William. I at the time didn't have a second hand. So what I did was to put vice grips on the bolts inside the bolt inside the van. This worked probably because I still had the carpet in. After getting the first anchor out and seeing how it worked, I found the much simpler way, especially if you may want to put the seats back in at sometime. You pull the pin up and hold it in the up position. I also did this with vice grips. Then I took a screwdriver and put in the square hole with the little metal piece you can see. ( Note the little metal is only being used as a guide). But I put it up against the frame of the anchor in that whole and hammered it until the anchor frame began rotate. After it stops rotating you just lift it off. There you will find the flat play the swivel base is anchored to which is were the bolts are attached to that go from inside the van to underneath. I decided to put the one I took out back in and leave them be because they keep the carpet even and you don't have to thoroughly fill in the bolt holes. Thanks again for the responses I received. Hope this helps out others.
Old April 28th, 2021, 2:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

That probably makes sense.

A guy could fire up a mig welder and tack a couple spots on the bolts too.

Quick Reply: How to remove seats from 1990 G20 van?