Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

intermittent oil leak

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2013, 4:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His was a 1500 & if you can't tow a 16' boat behind today's 350 then the engine & transmission are absolutely worthless. The old skool 350's were practically indestructable but these plastic intaked hand-grenades are not the same reliable engine they once were.

I have a 3500 work van with the works and had the same problem: If you dare to tow... the oil will go (somewhere...). It's his call what he does with his but as I've said before: never again will I buy GM.
Old July 15th, 2013, 5:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Lunghd. my 98 Blazer pulls the boat no problem and it's only a six cylinder.
I still have to do the re-learn on the new engine to clear CEL, cam positioner sensor. Hopefully it will tell the trans when to shift. Waiting for my Tech 2 to return from a friend.
Old July 21st, 2013, 4:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2002 2500 with the tow package. Has the tranny cooler and is great at trailering.
Old July 21st, 2013, 5:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I cleared the CEL. Trans will not shift out of 1st. Dropped pan, changed filter, added 5.75 quarts of fluid. no help.

Any one got a 4L80E laying around?
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:26 PM
CF Junior Member

So it's been a while. Any body I know still around?
Had the trans rebuilt. new break lines, new u joints. been running great!
Sittin in traffic the guy behind me is playing on the phone a totals his car. Unfortunate for me he tried to go around. Any one good at body work? this van is purring like a kitten.

99 express Hi Top van

I'm looking for a good Tahoe.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 1:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad about the damage. Why is he or your insurance not paying for it?
Old September 23rd, 2015, 9:02 PM
CF Junior Member

It cost more to fix then what the insurance co. wants to pay, so they totaled it. Sent me a small check, I sent them engine and trans recipts. they sent me a smaller check. I could have it fixed, but the wife really wants to downsize. I have owned a chevy van now for over 30 years. I'm gonna really miss it. It threw oxygen codes last year, and I replaced all the O2 sensors. With the new side door hinge pins, everything has been running great. When I had the engine out, I took the liberty of using all that room to replace all the brake lines, while I did all four wheels. For being 16 years old the grey leather seats are in real good shape, no cracks, and nothing feels better then turning on the seat heaters after an afternoon of ice fishing or pushing the button and have the third row seat fold down into a 3 section bed. My 84' had the 2 section, this one I can take a nap on while tailgating at the track. I thought about trailer brakes, but with three guys, all the camping gear inside, you could hardly tell the 16' fishing boat was back there. The pictures in the link don't show it but I still have the bumper cover, just a few cracks.
Honestly, if anybody that does body work picks this would it would be an easy flip. I'd drive it across country today, mechanically sound. The back looks bad, but the gasket is still intact and sealing. The creases in the panels take this job out of my league. Although it would be a good excuse to buy that tig machine I always wanted.

Last edited by edac; September 23rd, 2015 at 9:07 PM.
Old October 1st, 2015, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

Chop the top off & make a rolling hot-tub for sorority parties. Sure - you lose a wife... but you gain the admiration of husbands world-wide.