Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Just need some advice

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2019, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just need some advice

I recently bought a 2018 Chevy express 2500 cargo van with the 6.0. This is my first NEW vehicle purchase, I bought it for work and I’m used to fords which were also good to me but it feels like a completely different world now that I drive a Chevrolet. So far so good, it rides VERY nice but my questions are... what brand of oil should I use? Does it matter? I know it says 5w-30 but what brand is best for my van? It says to change every 5k miles but I’m all about longevity so I’m gonna change it every 2500-3000k Miles. Also; what type of transmission fluid should I use when I change that? My owners manual isnt very specific on that accept to change every 60k but I’m gonna do it when I hit 30k (like I said, all about longevity) those are my questions. Also, what can I do to make this run as long as possible? I’d love some input, I’ve always done my own work on my trucks, I don’t trust ANYONE. I’m young but not STUPID! love your thoughts, thanks!
Old June 12th, 2019, 6:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Use any good brand of Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil labeled Dexos. For the transmission use Dexron VI.
Old June 12th, 2019, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks man! I really appreciate it
Old June 12th, 2019, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dexos gen 2 is only full synthetic now. Semi synthetics are no longer dexos rated.
I prefer Valvoline, and its cheap at wal mart. Once you get up in miles, switch to the high mileage version Valvoline Max life full synthetic..its highly rated on bob is the oil guy website.
For transmission, I would have it done at a shop, since you should change the filter as well as the fluid.
Old June 13th, 2019, 4:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep with the owners manual. DEXOS should be on your oil cap. If you doing the work yourself and not the dealer, always keep all receipts while under warranty in case of a claim. Enjoy the 6.0 as they finally discontinued it with 2020 models. Great engine. Enjoy.
Ken
Old June 13th, 2019, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Any 5w-30 will work just as long as it says DEXOS on it they changed the DEXOS like 6 months or so ago from semi to full synthetic any dealer should be able to get quarts if you want the stuff they use. As for the transmission I would recommend doing the filter also and I believe its DEXRON IV for the fluid.
Old June 13th, 2019, 11:11 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ChevyVanMan
Enjoy the 6.0 as they finally discontinued it with 2020 models. Great engine. Enjoy.
Ken
WHAT? No more 6.0L? Hopefully they will drop in the 6.6L gasser that is heading to the Sierra. For my family (2 adults 5 kids), the GM vans were the only option to tow a camper big enough for all of us. I guess I'll need to take good care of my 2016 with the 6.0L...

Curtis,

I use Walmart's Supertech Full-Synthetic High Mileage 5W30, it meets Dexos1 gen 2 and API SN specs (manufactured by Warren Petroleum Products, WPP). Use Dexron VI for the transmission.

When the time comes, the transmission fluid is an easy change (it takes time, mostly prep work, and it can be messy, but it's not hard). The only problem that I encountered was the gasket. You can't guarantee gasket size/shape from online sources (Amazon's "fits your vehicle" had the wrong gasket for mine, but the filter was correct). I ended up finding the gasket I needed at a local auto parts store, but 3 of the 4 competing stores near me did not carry it. So, confirm the size and bolt pattern of the new gasket before you start.
Old June 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Curtis Tyler
It says to change every 5k miles but I’m all about longevity so I’m gonna change it every 2500-3000k Miles.

It's possible that the oil change interval is different for 2018, but my 2016 has a 7500 mile interval. I've adopted a 5000 mile interval because it's easier to look at my odometer and know that it's time to change the oil without doing mental math, and I primarily use my van to tow our camper. However, I'm considering extending that interval out to 7500 miles again. There's an interesting discussion in another thread (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e3/#post429647) about oil change intervals. Modern synthetic oil film-strength and viscosity do not degrade nearly as fast as older conventional oils, so you might not be getting any real benefit from more frequent oil changes. You are probably better off buying a quality filter and stick with the longer change interval, plus you'll save money and time on less frequent oil changes. Just something to consider.
Old June 13th, 2019, 6:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
It's possible that the oil change interval is different for 2018, but my 2016 has a 7500 mile interval. I've adopted a 5000 mile interval because it's easier to look at my odometer and know that it's time to change the oil without doing mental math, and I primarily use my van to tow our camper. However, I'm considering extending that interval out to 7500 miles again. There's an interesting discussion in another thread (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e3/#post429647) about oil change intervals. Modern synthetic oil film-strength and viscosity do not degrade nearly as fast as older conventional oils, so you might not be getting any real benefit from more frequent oil changes. You are probably better off buying a quality filter and stick with the longer change interval, plus you'll save money and time on less frequent oil changes. Just something to consider.

I was going to do it every 5000Km, like I was going to do it every 5000Km with every new vehicle, but I fell off the gameplan. I just do it when the computer tells me.
Old June 14th, 2019, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks everyone! I appreciate it! I didn’t realize Chevy is getting rid of the of the 6.0. That is a great motor... that’s tobad,