Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2015, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Misfire

Hi,
I have a 2004 express with a 6.0l. I am having a misfire issue. It runs rough at an idle, although not allways, and when it is running rough it has poor compression, hard to get up to any speed. After a few min. of going down the highway it will all of a sudden kick in and run perfect. Code reads random misfire. I changed my plugs and wires, and when I checked my coil's 2,4,6, and 8 were not firing. Took it to mechanic and he thought it might be computer but that was not the case. He did say that the injectors on that side were not firing as well. I am out of options or ideas. I by no means claim to be mechanicly inclined. Any help would be great. Thanks
Luke
Old March 26th, 2015, 5:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its odd that no other codes were present. It sounds like a bad sensor. How many miles on the van? Have you changed the fuel filter? Did you get some bad gas? How about the air filter, and 02 sensors?
Old March 26th, 2015, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

It has 170k. Fuel filter was changed maybe 10 to 15 k ago. Will be changing it tomorrow as well. The misfire code is the only code. I've owned it for over 4 years and have had almost no troubles. It has new air filter and it has gone through several tanks of gas. Fuel milage is awful with the way it runs. We haven't been driving it much at all lately

Last edited by sullys4Jesus; March 26th, 2015 at 9:22 PM.
Old March 26th, 2015, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The feeling of bad compression is just those cylinders not firing. Even one will make th engine shudder and feel weak. If you have a whole bank not running, then you need to have the ignition system checked...
Old March 27th, 2015, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I will be taking it in next week. Will post the findings.
Old March 27th, 2015, 6:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Misfires

I had a motorhome based on a Chevy 3500 with 7.6 engine that would get random misfires, usually at high RPM climbing mountains. It ran OK but the check engine light would come on, I'd reset the light and it would stay off until the next high RPM mountain climbing event.
After a couple of years of this occasional problem, it really got bad: extremely rough running, stalled out, restart but rough running. I limped the last 15 miles home.
It was the mass airflow sensor. No trouble after replacing that.