Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My G3500 Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2021, 1:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to turn the box around on the trailer to get ready to lift it up and support it in place.

Box started off like this on my trailer.

Box turned around on the trailer and is ready to lift it up and support it, so I can test fit it on the G3500 Cutaway.

Box turned around on the trailer and is ready to lift it up off the trailer and support it, so I can test fit it on the G3500 Cutaway.

Old February 24th, 2021, 2:16 PM
CF Junior Member

It took a lot out of me, that morning, to get that sleeper box turned around on the trailer.
I was still not 100% as I was recovering from a nasty lung infection that started the first week of March and this was now August.
By the time I used a ratchet style tie-down strap, many times in different places, to turn this box around on the trailer, I was very weak.
So I went inside and rested for hours and hours.

Later that summer evening and before Home Depot closed, I went there to buy some 6x6 long post and 2 adjustable saw horses, to help me with what was next to come.

Picking up the 6x6 post and saw horses that I would need for the next step.

I must of gotten my second wind, by the time I got home.
I did what it took to get the pallet out from under the sleeper box and the two 6x6 post under the sleeper box, before calling it a day.

I must of got my second wind. Because when I got home I did what it took to get the 6x6 post under the sleeper box.

All ready for a good start the next morning.

All ready for a good start the next morning.

Last edited by G3500 Toy Hauler; February 24th, 2021 at 2:20 PM.
Old February 26th, 2021, 8:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Default My G3500 Toy Hauler

August 8, 2020 was a good day and I got a lot done.

Need to remove these brackets. This meant grinding the rivet heads off.

Need to Remove These Brackets

Rivet heads ground off on one side.

Rivet heads ground off on both sides and ready to remove the two brackets.

Then I cut and removed this homemade driveshaft loop, so the box would be able to sit down lower on the frame.

Driveshaft loop removed and now sitting on top.

Now I'm working on the sawhorses. I'm cutting some 4x4 to length and securing them to the adjustable sawhorses.

Cutting some 4x4 to length and securing them to the saw horses.

Last edited by G3500 Toy Hauler; February 26th, 2021 at 8:09 AM.
Old February 26th, 2021, 8:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Still August 8, 2020 and getting a lot done today.

This picture, I'm jacking up one side of the sleeper box, taking the load off the 6x6 so I can put a sawhorse on this side of the trailer under the 2 6x6.
I want to be able to lift up and support the sleeper box above the trailer. That way I can remove the trailer and leave the sleeper box up in the air.

Jacking up one side of the sleeper box, so I can get the sawhorse under the two 6X6.

This side gave me a hard time. As I was lifting the two 6x6 the box wanted to lean or tilt to the front and put it's load on the one 6x6.
This made it much harder for me to get the sawhorse under the two 6x6 on this side by myself.
So, I had to come up with a solution.
That ratchet strap kept the 2x4 held down, on that end, and lifted the one 6x6 just enough, so I could slide the sawhorse under both of them by myself.

This side gave me a hard time. As I was lifting this side, the box wanted to lean forward and it kept me from getting the sawhorse under both 6x6 by myself. So, I had to come up with a solution to keep the one 6x6 up in the air that had the most load on in.

Old February 26th, 2021, 9:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Still August 8,2000 - Grin I'm getting a lot done, even though I my lungs are not back to 100%, from the infection, and my breathing is weak at times.

Jump ahead and the box is up in the air. It is high enough that I can now pull the trailer out from under it.
I had to jack up each side, a little at a time, in stages, until I got it high enough.

Jump ahead and the box is up in the air. It is high enough that I can now pull the trailer out from under it.

Yep, It will clear as I pull the trailer out.

Checking once more, from the back this time, just to be sure.

All is well. Trailer has been removed from under the sleeper box.

All is well. Trailer has been removed from under the sleeper box.

My G3500 with its new custom made flatbed is now under the sleeper box.
Ready to start the next stage of this build, which will begin tomorrow morning August 9, 2020.

My G3500 with its new custom made flatbed is now under the sleeper box. Ready to start the next stage of this build, which will begin tomorrow morning August 9, 2020.

Last edited by G3500 Toy Hauler; February 26th, 2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old February 26th, 2021, 9:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Not bad for an old guy, if I do say so myself! Grin and LOL
Working outside on a gravel laneway, in the hot summer sun, while still recovering from a lung infection. GRIN
The things us true car guys will do. GRIN

Last edited by G3500 Toy Hauler; February 26th, 2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old March 1st, 2021, 9:46 PM
CF Junior Member

August 9, 2020, First thing in the morning I started to remove the fiberglass cab extension.

I had to remove the fiberglass cab extension

A couple hours later and the cab extension was removed.

Backed up the truck and lined up the sleeper box. Now it is time to lower the box and test fit it.

Started raining and I had to cover the opening of the cab with a large piece of plastic and call it a day.

Last picture of the day, due to rain, and I went inside.

Old March 1st, 2021, 10:01 PM
CF Junior Member

August 12, 2020 I started lowering the box down for a test fit.

Made a lifting and lower block.
If anyone has done a custom build before; you know there are times when you have to test fit, remove and install again, and you do this a number of times, until you get it right and are happy with the results. Once you have it the way you want it; you have to blow it a part and either paint or powder coat stuff and then put it all back together again. Grin ​​​​​​​

Old March 1st, 2021, 10:19 PM
CF Junior Member

August 13, 2020

The day before I lowered the box half way. Today I finished lowering and test fitting the box.

Coming down for a landing and almost there. Grin

Front view of the test fit.

Liking how it is starting to look. But, I want the box to be a little lower.

Looking good from this view too.

Old March 1st, 2021, 10:33 PM
CF Junior Member

I had to wait a while for my friend Kevin, who does my welding, to have time to bring the truck back to his shop, so he could finish welding and cleaning up the welds on the flatbed.
After lifting the flatbed off and leaving it in his shop, I left the truck and trailer there, while Kevin finished the flatbed.
Then I returned, put the flatbed on my trailer and then put the truck in Kevin's shop and I raised the sleeper box so Kevin could make the frame to box mounts for me..

Lifting the flatbed off the truck so Kevin can finish welding and cleaning up the welds o the flatbed.

This was my very temporary mounts for the sleeper box. Grin

G3500 without the flatbed and my trailer sitting outside Kevin's, while he finished the flatbed.

Quick Reply: My G3500 Toy Hauler