Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My G3500 Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2021, 10:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
It doesn't look like the one you posted, sorry.

I only mentioned it as a caution to be careful what you wish for. I find that it's more of a hindrance than a help.
After picking it up where I purchased it and driving it home, thousand plus miles, it was something I really missed not having.
The passenger seat was too far away to put things on it that I might need while driving.
I either had to keep my cell phone on my lap all the time or search for it on the floor when I needed it.
I was always concerned about spilling my drink, that I had to keep on the floor.
I had no where to keep my maps or the change for tolls and whatnot.

I'm sure I'll be very happy with it!
Old March 27th, 2021, 3:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 626 Likes on 567 Posts

I plan to put a simple coffee holder on the engine cover that I can flip out of the way when not being used. As for storage, I will add some to the side of the seat, overhead, and maybe inside the bloated dashboard. Anywhere except areas I need to move around. For me it's a camping+work vehicle. I am frequently moving between the two front seats and the rear of the vehicle. Because I have short legs, I have the driver's seat moved fairly far forward.
Old March 27th, 2021, 6:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I plan to put a simple coffee holder on the engine cover that I can flip out of the way when not being used. As for storage, I will add some to the side of the seat, overhead, and maybe inside the bloated dashboard. Anywhere except areas I need to move around. For me it's a camping+work vehicle. I am frequently moving between the two front seats and the rear of the vehicle. Because I have short legs, I have the driver's seat moved fairly far forward.

Easy fix. Slide seat up to drive. Slide seat back to get into the back. Grin Best of both worlds.
Old March 27th, 2021, 7:24 PM
Super Moderator

They are power seats and it takes a while to find that perfect sweet spot. I'd rather not touch it.
Even if I did slide it, the console would still get in the way of crossing to the other side. The engine sticks out enough as it is. Nope, don't like it at all.
Old April 6th, 2021, 12:20 AM
CF Junior Member

As most of you now know, I finally found the right center console to fit my doghouse.
I'm happy to have it, even thought it is not be the right color.

Another recent purchase was a newer, much cleaner, sleeper box with some extra bling and no body damage. Grin

The newer, replacement sleeper box.

​​​​​​​
Old August 1st, 2022, 9:59 PM
CF Junior Member

UPDATE: Long over due.

I got the red sleeper box home during my Oct 2021 trip and it is still sitting on the trailer. Grin

I went to NJ to get it.

I recently finished replacing the cab to sleeper box seal.

Using the tractor and 2 large ratchet straps to pull the sleeper box towards the cab evenly and hold it in place while I tighten it down.

New seal in place

Drive side view of new cab to sleeper box seal

Temporary wooden railing system. I'm playing around with the style and ideas for the metal railings I will get made for this.

Temporary wooden rails until I decide how I want them to look and get metal ones made.

Old August 2nd, 2022, 3:43 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. It's a flat-bed-semi-truck-van. All that's left is to make the cab a convertible.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 7:24 AM
CF Junior Member

There has to be at least one.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 7:37 AM
CF Junior Member

The sleeper box paid for itself, in hotel fees, the first time I used it.

7 days I was on the road. I went to NJ where I got the replacement sleeper box. Then on to IN where I picked up the Ultravan parts. Back home after that.
The sleeper box paid for itself on this trip, even if hotels where only $100 per night. BTW - The cheapest I found at the time was $110 and $115.

The morning after I got back from my Oct 2021 trip.