Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New Hydroboost and/or power steering pump making noise

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2020, 6:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Also forgot to add that the brakes and steering feel like a new car after replacing the pump and hydroboost. They work flawlessly 100% of the time. The only symptom I’m experiencing is the noise.
Old October 14th, 2020, 9:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if its still noisy either the vacuum bleed was ineffective or the pump is f'ed. what did you use to apply vacuum and how did you seal the reservoir during bleeding.
Old October 14th, 2020, 10:02 AM
CF Active Member

I don’t know how it could have been ineffective, I did it many times and followed the exact directions and videos I found online of others doing the exact same procedure. I used a handheld vacuum pump and made a dense foam seal for my reservoir, see pic below (I did get up to 20 in. of vacuum, just stopped to take the pic). The vac pump was definitely pulling vacuum and didn’t leak down at all. If I have to replace this power steering pump again it’s going to be a new one, even though it’s 3x the cost. The job is a too much of a PITA and I can’t afford to keep delaying my trip to keep dicking around with reman junk.

Old October 14th, 2020, 2:11 PM
CF Active Member

Just ordered a brand new AC Delco pump, new pressure/return lines (they’re 7yrs/170k miles old), and a filter. This job is a pain and I don’t want to do it again, might as well just replace it all.

That being said, I’m going to do a full flush again. I don’t want any contamination from the reman floating around, plus I’m adding a filter this time. But I want all new fresh fluid. Since I will have the hoses off, is there a way to flush the gear box and then the hydroboost seperately? Can I just vac clean fluid through them? Or do the parts need to be moving/under pressure to exchange every bit of the fluid?
Old October 15th, 2020, 9:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

when you bleed...after manual bleeding to a point where fluid is no longer dropping in the reservoir...fill reservoir...get some one to start the engine...you be ready to immediately add fluid to the reservoir. if it drops and sucks air at start up...noisy pump.

i vac bleed with a compressor run mity vac and with a special cap with a vac port..i pull 27"vac. hand pumps haven't worked for me.

Last edited by tech2; October 15th, 2020 at 9:10 AM.
Old October 15th, 2020, 9:28 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
when you bleed...after manual bleeding to a point where fluid is no longer dropping in the reservoir...fill reservoir...get some one to start the engine...you be ready to immediately add fluid to the reservoir. if it drops and sucks air at start up...noisy pump.

i vac bleed with a compressor run mity vac and with a special cap with a vac port..i pull 27"vac. hand pumps haven't worked for me.
Thanks for the tips. I just thought of something.. what about using a drill to turn the power steering pump at first (after manual bleeding) so it’s more controlled and not so fast/aggressive?