Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New Work Van Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2014, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Work Van Recommendation

Good Day Everyone,

I am thinking about selling my 89 G-20 work van and buying a newer model. Are there some make and models that I should seek and some that I should avoid? I keep a decent amount of weight on the G-20 vehicle so a 3/4 ton should be my weight range.

I like my G-20 but it has several problems that seem too expensive to repair.
For one, the right real axle bearing keeps cutting into the axle and I have to have that repaired regularly. The muffler system has a bb size hole in it and looks rusty. The engine shoots out a plume of blue smoke when I start up the vehicle. It looks like the front main engine seal may be leaking. The power steering pump is leaking. The seats are falling apart. Alot of the door and window handles are missing and / or broken. I like the van and I hate to spend the money on a new one, but it seems to be the time to do so.

Thank you for the good advice,

Jim
Old June 8th, 2014, 4:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The G series is pretty standard for most years. 2002-2008ish vans have problems with peeling white paint... something to be aware of.

A pre 97 Van would be a G20 while 97 and after would be a G2500.

The earlier vans are a bit easier to repair and much more durable in my opinion. But the newer models rides smoother and more comfortable seats,etc.

So Id say condition is more important than model/year.(Although a mint 95 G30 6.5 diesel would float my boat, lol)
Old June 8th, 2014, 8:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I always say. Don't buy a cargo van, buy and convert a passenger van. They are better built, and the paint does not fall off.
Old June 9th, 2014, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Passenger vans are better I will keep that in mind, thanks.

If I replace the seats, power steering pump, transmission, engine, and exhaust system. I should have a good running van despite the fact that it has 250K miles on it?
Old June 9th, 2014, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

well and the rear end as well. You know the Van the best. and of the Full size cargo vans are good.

Really need to figure out what you need the van for? Pulling and hauling weight , storage space?

you know what you need for your business. might be a idea to look for a back up truck in case the main one breaks down.
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't put that amount of work into a van unless it was guaranteed to not rust out in the next 15 years. better to put that dollar amount towards a platform you can build on.
Old June 10th, 2014, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by spaceblonde
well and the rear end as well. You know the Van the best. and of the Full size cargo vans are good.

Really need to figure out what you need the van for? Pulling and hauling weight , storage space?

you know what you need for your business. might be a idea to look for a back up truck in case the main one breaks down.
I think I can get it in good shape with a $10K investment.
The back up van is a great idea thanks. I was talking to someone with a Express 3500 with 175k miles on it and he seems to be quite pleased with the service that he is getting with it.

Thank you so much,

Jim