Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

No Warranty on anything "Glass" related???

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2019, 4:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

No sign of these ever leaking there. Both have leaks from other things done to them, but the front has always been dry.

The windshield is glued on with urethane, the gasket around it is more or less just a trim piece. Absolute worst case you could cut it diagonally through the corner and then it should lay down even if it's shrunk enough to no longer fit correctly.
Old January 14th, 2019, 2:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I still don't understand what you guys are talking about. Can anybody post a photo?
Old January 14th, 2019, 3:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I believe he means the rubber gasket around the windshield has pulled up at the top right corner and a bit of it is loose.

corner of gasket

Last edited by William Kisselstein; January 14th, 2019 at 3:46 PM.
Old January 14th, 2019, 4:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Exactly. Currently, mine is under about 8 inches of snow.
Old January 15th, 2019, 2:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Oh that. It's a cosmetic piece.

The windshield sealing gasket is sandwiched between the glass and the metal body, and it's a thick, black, gooey caulk-like substance.
Old January 15th, 2019, 12:31 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go metric, every inch of the way!

Something tells me I wouldn't like the results if I asked you to work on my 1981 Harley-Davidson. That machine requires imperial wrenches. Different.

There sure are a lot of lean-ins with regards to a possible glass claim. I might as well offer mine.

Warranties have limits Bummer warranties are no better. Those are the ones where after you hear a "no" from someone, you go "bummer."

/start vent/ Some sort of altercation resulted in both my front windows being broken by slung pieces of broken spark-plug insulator. The repair costs for that stunt damage had to be paid, but the criminal was no where to be found. If you have comprehensive on your insurance policy, maybe you can find cost replacement there, in the fine print. It might exclude non-criminal activity to exclude accidental breakage. Na-one wants to be responsible for that. That would make anyone go "bummer."

The locksmith was having a bad day.
Old January 15th, 2019, 3:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

judging by the picture of the Blue car someone was prying between the door and the 1/4 glass to gain entry.....as far as the windshield molding on the express van the molding is metal core ....the metal core and the rubber exterior expand and contract at different rates causing it to split or tear at the corners.. you can get an aftermarket market thats not metal core...thats what i install on all my express windshield replacements......
Old January 15th, 2019, 9:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll keep that in mind. I'm hoping Joe is right, and that it's cosmetic.
Old June 17th, 2019, 3:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default windshield trim pulling loose

I noticed the trim across the top of the windshield was pulling out.
I got up to take a closer look and find it is loose 2/3s of the way across the top, ready to tear on the passenger side top corner, and 2/3s the way down the driver's side.
It seems it has nothing to do with waterproofing and maybe just a cover over the gap between the glass and body.

Why Chevy is so concerned about having a gap around the glass, that can be blown out with hose I do not know.
Chevy isn't concerned about all the leaf debris that goes into the vent and builds up above wheel well ... or I assume that is how those leave got in there.
Should I mention the drain getting clogged and flooding to the inside passenger side, that I have yet to find access to clear.

So ... what has been tried to put the trim back in place?
I'm thinking silicone.
Old June 17th, 2019, 4:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Vehicle reports only contain insurance claims. Most repairs go under the radar.
Oh, the pile of receipts I keep in every vehicle for the next owner. Get excited any time I find some in a "new" purchase myself. Sometimes it's a let down after seeing the same mistakes made multiple times. Eg. Computer temp sensor tied into dash and aftermarket installed in dash instead of stock.