Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Not in the driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2022, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not in the driver's seat

Recently I removed the middle row captain chairs out of my 1999 Express 1500. The driver seat cushion from the aforementioned van, is trashed and being a mathematics wizard, I felt that I had no choice but to put 2 & 2 together and I got to looking at each, to wit; I decided they were interchangeable. Then I made an agreed upon trade with a frien...someone I know. He'd swap out the driver seat with the best of the two middle seats for an extra power inverter I had. It was at that precise moment that this good time I'm sharing with you, my bow tie breteren, started.
He thought I knew what I was doing, as in I actually knew the seats were indeed interchangeable. The only difference I could tell were the brackets. And he also assumed I took measurements to make sure. Which I hqdn't but would have if I was going to go ahead and do it myself. But since he never hesitated when I asked if he was interested in doing it, I assumed he knew what he was doing.
See anything going wrong with this picture?
Anyways, he got the drivet seat removed and took off the brackets from the motorized frame and then quit. Just up and quit. Walked away. No reason given. Won't answer my calls to see if I have something to be apologetic about, therefore, no reason got Now I didn't see exactly how or what it the bracket set up looked like before and now I'm not so sure I was correct thinking the seats could be swapped because the holes don't line up and the old driver seat was tossed before this was confirmed.
So my questions are; does anyone have any advice? Besides kill myself, pay better attention, the tape measure is my friend, that someone should be shot by yours truly just before I administer myself the same, et al? Which way do the brackets face, wide or narrow to the front? And do you want fries with that?
Any help and or advice is appreciated.
Old May 4th, 2022, 3:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

This should be a straightforward swap. The seats conversion companies use are identical for all four positions save the driver's may not be equipped with a left armrest. They typically have multiple sets of holes on the bottom because they're used in all makes of vans.

Further, the design on the Express seat base lets you use a power track on the factory seat base. Older vans they had to install a lower base section to account for a height difference.

It is probably easier to take the track off the base, leaving it hooked to power, and bolt to the seat (you may need to move it around to get to all the bolts) then drop it back on the base again.

SO I guess the only advice I can give is if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself, or pay an expert.