Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

O2 Sensor failure 3 times

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2010, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor failure 3 times

One of my O2 sensors (P0059) has failed 3 times with about 2 weeks between failures. Auto mechanic doing the work under warrenty says it's the ethanol in the gas. Definately not true since the other sensors are OK. Got an appointment with the Chevy dealer to find the problem.
I understand that these O2 sensors are just for emissions control and do not damage the engine or cause any other problem. My state doesn't do emission control testing.
My question - Why should I spend $200+ to find & correct this problem? That's a lot of money to me.
Thanks, Al
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

you ask question and you also answer it but i think you should try to look any online shop where you can check the rates what about autopartsway
Old December 22nd, 2010, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the input. I cancelled the appointment with the Chevy dealer since the check engine light didn't come back on yet. That should save me $200+. Tomorrow I go on a 1500 mi trip, so I will try to measure the gas usage if the check engine light comes back on. By the time I return maybe there will be something for the mechanic to find & correct.
Al
Old December 22nd, 2010, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

the only other thing that i know of an o2 sensor causing besides an "emission control malfunction" is the possibility of running lean or rich on your fuel mixture?

correct me if im wrong but i dont see that causing an engine problem..
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not change it yourself? have you changed a spark plug? thats about how hard it is, all u have to do is get it plugged in to see which one it is and autozone can do this for u
Old December 23rd, 2010, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

"why not change it yourself? have you changed a spark plug? thats about how hard it is, all u have to do is get it plugged in to see which one it is and autozone can do this for u".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It's been 20 years since I worked on a car because of the chip they use in the cars. Now with the Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII Vehicles and your comment <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->I feel more confident again & DIY sounds like a great plan. Plus all comments say there would be no engine problem if I didn't get to it right away. Thanks.

Last edited by AlPleaswy; December 23rd, 2010 at 6:11 AM.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cars nowdays are actually fairly simple if you know what to look for and what to take off to get to the part you are fixing, they are like computers...just plug and play, no tuning or nuthing but troubleshooting is hard without the right equipment