Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

second bench fits in the third row??

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2007, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: second bench fits in the third row??

Yes, I agree the van is huge and long. I did run over the curb a few times at my ATM and McDonalds drivethrough. I did notice that smaller vehicles "dissappear" behind my bumper at red lights. I am researching backup sensors to install for backing up. Most ebay ones don't work on my chrome bumper. I would really like a backup camera but I want to integrate it well in the dash instead of just having it "sitting" on the dash like my portable GPS now (and not much of a flat dash).

I do like the idea of getting some sort of rubber mat because my van is now full of sand especially in the seat track and it is difficult to get it out ... you can vacuum and vacuum ...
Old September 11th, 2007, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

I went for about 8 years without backing into anything, but maybe I'll be looking into some kind of back up sensor. I don't have any problem at parking lots, just watch out for those low post. If I see one now, I'll find another spot.

I'll probably add an alarm from Crutchfields. I installed a nice sound system with Sirius radio, so I can offer a few tips on that.

Crutchfields might have some back up cameras as well, but yeah, there isn't much room on the dash. Just my little Sirius radio tuner is obnoxious enough for me with two wires going back into the dash.

The rubber mat I got from a local truck accessory place, called Skid Guard by Protecta. It was quite thick black rubber like. I also looked into carpet strips, which would be a good option if you are keeping the seats in. I wanted the rubber mat for my bike so I can sweep out the dirt or sand. I don't think wall to wall custom fit liner is necessary. The carpet is easy to replace anyway. Or a really strong shop vac. YMMV

You seem to be really good at finding accessories. Please keep us posted of your improvements.

Old September 14th, 2007, 8:27 AM
CF Junior Member

I found this site for rear parking sensors. They said their system will work with metal or chrome bumpers

http://parkingsensors.net/sc.cgi?car...g_sensors&

The price seems reasonable ... so I am thinking of purchasing a set. Kinda nervous on drillling the holes in bumpers though given the vehicle is "new" to me.
Old September 14th, 2007, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Those look good! The new Suburbans have the same kind of backup sensors in the bumper.

You see so many trucks, vans with torn up bumpers. Maybe pre-drill small pilot holes first, depending on the drill bit?

You will probably need an electric drill. Then paint the bare mettle with primer so it doesn't rust.

Have you decided on a display yet? They have the LCD long oval kind and the other square one. The long oval one could fit inside that covey hole on the side. Hmmm.... Or just put a square or oval one on top of the dash?

I'm definitely going to get one. I'm leaning toward the square display on top of the dash. Let us know what you decide.

Edit (after looking at my dash, I'm leaning towards the oval LCD on top of the dash. The dash isn't perfectly flat but that should be ok.)
Old September 14th, 2007, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Ive been googling around and I can't find any user reviews. I'm concerned about false signals, or picking up objects way off to the side. So the display showing which sensor is responding would be good. You can see off to the sides with the mirrors.

A van isn't much worse than a car. You just cant see the tops of parking post like you can in a car. A passenger van also has windows all the way around.

I would like a backup warning if I'm not aware of something back there. If it works the way it should.

I would like to read some user reviews.

Old December 10th, 2007, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Don't totally understand your 2 vs 3 seat swap problem. My 03 AWD passenger van, has 2 rails on the floor. I use the 2 or 3 seat interchangibly, in either position (adults only - no kids) with outboard shoulder belts. I have actually 'extended the rails in the floor' and added outboard shoulder belts - so I can position seats in 2 & 4, and carry plywood etc., on the upright backs (with a 'bump' because of the centre shoulder belted seat. I also like to travel with a seat in a rear position, only, 'limo style'. By the way - the row 4 rails were moved slightly sideways, because the floor in the 4 row 2500 van is ??!!slightly!!?? diferent! but it works well. I am trying to determine if the the floor rails/seat attachments, in the 01-02 LT or SLT (with row 2, reclining bucket seats) are the same as mine. I would like to replace one bench with two buckets and carry plywood 'vertically' between the bucket seats. My local dealer hasn't (won't??) determine this, for me. [ NO, I don't want to carry 10 people, or use 4 rows!] I rarely have more than 3 passengers. Someone, please help with the 'bucket seat' attachment.
Old December 10th, 2007, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I can't help you with the bucket seat problem.

I guess the '07 is different from the '03. The 2 parallel rails from front to back extend from 2nd row to the 4th row. However the anchors attached to the seats themselves are different for the 2nd and 3rd row. The anchors are the same for the 3rd and 4th row. They might look the same at first brush but the difference between them is 3 inches so they won't latch at all. This was my problem but I solved it by physically swapping the anchors on the seats themselves.