Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

second bench fits in the third row??

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second bench fits in the third row??

I have four kids who need to be in car seats. My '07 has two child LATCHes plus three shoulder belts on the second row bench (right behind the driver). However, the third row does not have child LATCH nor shoulder belts. From preliminary examination, it seems the two benches might be swappable. I have not try to swap them myself because (1) don't readily have help and (2) afraid of removing the bench etc.

So does anyone here know if these benches are interchangeable?? Thanks
Old August 28th, 2007, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: second bench fits in the third row??

Someone else asked about this at the edmonds forums. On the last page. don't know if that was you?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee93d28/571!make=Chevrolet&model=Express&ed_makeindex=.ee9 3d28

Anyway, another option is installing the 2nd row seat belts on the third row. You would also have to order the seat belts from the parts department. That plastic housing should be mounted on the seat frame. Then the bottom of the strap bolts onto the bottom. You will need one of those star shaped screwdivers for the seat belts. You can get those from any auto parts place (get the GM kind) I would take apart the one on the second row to see how it is mounted to the seat frame. There is a star shaped screw at the top, underneath that little strip of plastic that pops off around the belt. then the rest of the housing snaps out.

I'm sorry I already put my 3rd and 4th row in storage, although I would assume they are interchangeable. I can't remember how the seat belts were configured either. I thought the third row was missing one shoulder strap, not two?

Hope this helps.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks John. That was my post over there. I was going to use the same screenname as there but I found that the Germans called these big vans "kastenwagen." So I thought it would be cool to use it.

I posted here too to get more opinions on the topic. You are right that the third bench has shoulder belts for the two outer most seats. I am in need of two child LATCH (for those without small children, these are the metal loops in the seats to receive the hooks of the carseat). These LATCH becomes standard in vehicles because they are lots easy to use and safer than the old method of wrapping the shoulder belt around the carseat. It is more secure. Moreover more shoulder belts wouldn't hurt either because they are lots safer than jsut the lapbelts especiallly with children.

As you are probably know I was more interested in the Sprinter because all seats have shoulder belts and most seats have LATCH. The price is too high even in the used market to make it affordable ... so I ended up with a slightly used Express hoping to do more upgrades
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I did see some bench seats over at eBay, but those were probably local pick up only. You can't see them either...

Yeah, I didn't see those metal loops that are welded to the bottom frame. You may have to order another seat.

You could also use a strand of cable and a two cable clamps (those are called saddles) So that the loop of cable would attach to the same frame with the two saddle clamps.

I have used that method to hurricane proof (hold down) small dock houses. I have seen them at Lowes, or you could order them on line, or if you have a marine rigging place nearby.

I'm thinking 1/4 inch or 3/8s... They have a load capacity. You can even double up on the clamps, although I'm thinking one would be secure.

Don't know if that would be convenient enough for your seats.

Old August 31st, 2007, 11:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Well I finally got some help to remove the two benches for comparison. They DON'T fit. The legs are different. The front bench anchors' distance per leg is more than the back ones'. The front ones are roughly 13.5" apart while the back ones are around 11". However, I still think the legs are swappable. All the screw mounts are in the same position with the exception of the mount of the second bench closest to the door. This mount is different to take incount the metal bar for the middle seat shoulder belt. However, this extra mount piece can be rewelded onto the other leg.

Will keep you all posted of the progress.

Old August 31st, 2007, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Now you're talken! Keep us posted. I wish there was a little more discussion on the Express. Oh well.

Once you get it set up with seats I think you will be satisfied with the vehicle.

I plan on keeping this Express a long time and picking up a hybrid in four or five years. It was less expensive than anything else, and has a proven track record.

Old September 7th, 2007, 7:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Got a bench with integrated shoulder belt from a conversion shop. I swapped the legs of this bench with the legs from my third row bench and the new bench fits perfectly. The reason for the leg swap is that these legs are different in length (front to back) but their mounting screws are the same. So now I have two rows with six shoulder belts plus four LATCH points for kids' childseats. The downside is the new bench is vinyl and my seats are cloth. I thought the vinyl looks very leathery (thumbup). Here is a pic of the new install ...

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...drowbench1.jpg

Old September 9th, 2007, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

That's great! You have it set up all safe and sound!

I'm waiting on some seat covers for the front and I'll also be set up. The big van still works for me. I built a stand for my bike in the back, and ride that to work in town and later for exercise. And it's so versitle, that I can use it for whatever I need. I also don't drive that much so the gas isn't a big factor. I also like the safety of being in a big vehicle.

anyway, glad that worked out for you.
Old September 10th, 2007, 5:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes, gas so far has not been a factor since I only take it out on long trips (just came back from Daytona Beach FL and Rehoboth DE). The ride was quite pleasing and I love being able to see over everyone else (except big rigs) on the road. The downside is I am not used to the barn door in the back since it seems all the cars are always in that metal parts of the windows. I wish GM would design a flip-up glass gate and the barn-door style for lower part of the metal hatch.

My next step is to find a way to install the mirror blinkers or maybe fender blinkers ... and upgrade the interior cloth.

I too wish there is more discussion on the Express but I guess most Expresses are used commercially and most owners are not enthusiasts like myself or yourself (?)

Old September 11th, 2007, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, it's really nice being able to see over most cars. I also like the extra room as opposed to a mini van. But as you have said, the Exress doesn't have the seating options like the Suburban? Maybe they don't want people to buy the van, because there is such a huge mark up for the Suburban? I don't know.

I did read some reviews where some people were disapointed that you cold no longer get the barn doors on the Suburbans, because it was easier to open and load groceries in the back with the barn door. I don't mind the frame part in the center. Maybe it did take a some getting used to. But, by far the most challenging aspect is baking up, because you can't see anything four feet or lower. You really have to be careful how you park so that you don't back into one of those low post. I always back up real slow because I've been driving a Van for a long time. I even put two small dings in my last Express, one from a low post beside an ATM in the grocery store parking lot and another into a palm tree, where I was moving very slow but its still quite a jolt. I was able to avoid this for over 5 years then got a little careless, maybe because I was backing up so slow I didn't realize how rigid the bumper is.

There was a lot more discussion back in 2000. Maybe I was still on AOL at the time.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep checking back in every now and then, so please keep me posted of your progress.

By the way, these are the seat covers I got. SeatGuard... http://www.autoanything.com/seat-cov...?from_search=1

They will get here in a few days. They are waterproof, because I swim at the beach and run and ride my bike. I was looking for the neoprine but couldn't find anything that fit the Express.

The reviews say they are easy to take on and off. They don't fit real snug but they do the job better than anything else.

I also got a cargo liner 4' x 8' that is just a thick rubber mat for the back when the seats are removed. It still fits with the one first row back seat in.

I really like going to the beach and not worrying about getting the seats wet or dirt in the back.

Yesterday I picked up some large shrubs on my way home and they have plenty of room.

Quick Reply: second bench fits in the third row??