Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Serpentine Belt Questions (G30)

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2020, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serpentine Belt Questions (G30)

Hey guys,

Trying to simply change the serpentine belt on my 93' G30. Question is, to get the fan shroud out there is a radiator hose and what i think is an AC hose that run across the top. Do I need to take the upper radiator hose off to get the shroud out? When the engine is cold will that hose be filled with coolant?

Thanks for any help.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 11:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ll Mallow ll
Hey guys,

Trying to simply change the serpentine belt on my 93' G30. Question is, to get the fan shroud out there is a radiator hose and what i think is an AC hose that run across the top. Do I need to take the upper radiator hose off to get the shroud out? When the engine is cold will that hose be filled with coolant?

Thanks for any help.
The radiator hose might not have any coolant when cold, but the A/C line is pressurized, so you can't touch it by law since you'd be letting R-134A into Atmo. which is illegal.As for the water coolant hose, you can pull that off anytime you wish to do so, but cold would be better. If the A/C hose is in the way you'll have to have a shop recycle it There is 70-75 pounds of pressure sitting still, engine off. Don't fool with it.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; December 22nd, 2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old January 1st, 2021, 9:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I never had to take that stuff off to change the belt on a G-van, and one of mine they had changed the idlers around so it took a belt for a Suburban which took three trips to the parts store to figure out, installing the wrong belt three times. You're going to get dirty and have to crawl under the front to route it but you should be able to get it on there once it's around the fan.